'71 429cj convertible restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PB,

Car looks great !!! I personally love the color, my neighbor has a 1970 Boss9 in the same color !!!

Keep up the good work !!! Can't wait to see the finished product !!!

Thanks, Jay

Sorry, not great with the computer ie: posting links... But below is the latest update put out by my shop, a little behind where the car actually is today; but gives you an idea of the process.

file:///C:/Users/kmacm_000/Pictures/1971-mustang-body-work.htm
sorry to say link didn't work for me! The other pictures are looking good, bet you can't wait to see it all done and on the road.

Geoff

Sorry, not great with the computer ie: posting links... But below is the latest update put out by my shop, a little behind where the car actually is today; but gives you an idea of the process.

Looks like you tried to link to your C drive and not it won't work. You need to upload the pictures to one of the photo storage place like Dropbox. A word of caution you should put copyright markings on them if you don't want them to show up elsewhere on the net.

David

Looks like you tried to link to your C drive and not it won't work. You need to upload the pictures to one of the photo storage place like Dropbox. A word of caution you should put copyright markings on them if you don't want them to show up elsewhere on the net.

David

Last edited:

David
Hmm, we would have to copyright everything we ever do on the net? Putting copyright is a long convoluted process, is it not? I guess when we post something, we know in advance that they may be posted elsewhere. if I don't want something all over the net, I don't post it. Thanks for looking out!
No copyright is just adding the symbol or you can get software to add copyright across the picture in a shadow. You don't have to pay anything or send copies to some government office. It just says I don't want anyone to use without your permission. eBay can even use your pictures unless you copyright. I have had people on the other side of the world take some of my hunting pictures and use them on the web site. One of the software packages will add the copyright symbol or your name or whatever you want and can do thousands at one time.

If you don't care if someone uses your pictures then don't worry about it.

David

Looking great. I'm looking forward to watching the progress as you move along. To me, the stage you are at is the most fun and rewarding.

I think part of your frustration with the photo's may be the shop lighting. When you finally roll it out into natural light, that should help the true color show up better on camera.

Looking great. I'm looking forward to watching the progress as you move along. To me, the stage you are at is the most fun and rewarding.

I think part of your frustration with the photo's may be the shop lighting. When you finally roll it out into natural light, that should help the true color show up better on camera.

Last edited:
I would do a stock or near stock rebuild that will run on pump gas. Send the block to the machine shop and have the absolute minimum overbore done even if it means having custom pistons made. There are not many choices available for 429 pistons, hence the potential need for custom pieces. If you determine that custom pistons are warranted, have them made with a compression height that will minimize the need for cutting the deck but still achieve near zero deck clearance. A switch to a 460 rotating assembly opens up off the shelf piston options and allows you to preserve the original rotating assembly for posterity. The extra cubes don't hurt either.

You have a rare block and if the budget allows every effort should be made to preserve its service life.

Have the heads machined and rebuilt with one piece valves and appropriate springs and hardware. CC the combustion chambers and use pistons with a dish volume that will achieve a 9.5:1-10:1 compression.

Use the stock cam or an aftermarket equivalent. As I think you already know, the A460 marine cam is the closest off the shelf cam to stock and is available from several aftermarket cam companies. Alternatively, you can have a cam custom ground.

I would love to see you retain the Quadrajet. If you keep the cam near stock specs you should be able to use it with the stock calibration but finding someone who can restore it properly may be a challenge. Cliff Ruggles is probably the guy but he often has a backlog of a year or more. It will not be cheap.

The stock harmonic balancer and water pump can be rebuilt as well.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do a stock or near stock rebuild that will run on pump gas. Send the block to the machine shop and have the absolute minimum overbore done even if it means having custom pistons made. There are not many choices available for 429 pistons, hence the potential need for custom pieces. If you determine that custom pistons are warranted, have them made with a compression height that will minimize the need for cutting the deck but still achieve near zero deck clearance. A switch to a 460 rotating assembly opens up off the shelf piston options and allows you to preserve the original rotating assembly for posterity. The extra cubes don't hurt either.

You have a rare block and if the budget allows every effort should be made to preserve its service life.

Have the heads machined and rebuilt with one piece valves and appropriate springs and hardware. CC the combustion chambers and use pistons with a dish volume that will achieve a 9.5:1-10:1 compression.

Use the stock cam or an aftermarket equivalent. As I think you already know, the A460 marine cam is the closest off the shelf cam to stock and is available from several aftermarket cam companies. Alternatively, you can have a cam custom ground.

I would love to see you retain the Quadrajet. If you keep the cam near stock specs you should be able to use it with the stock calibration but finding someone who can restore it properly may be a challenge. Cliff Ruggles is probably the guy but he often has a backlog of a year or more. It will not be cheap.

The stock harmonic balancer and water pump can be rebuilt as well.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

[/quote

Last edited:
I have not seen you discuss it, but is there a reason not to go with roller lifers / cam / rocker assembly? True, it's a rare engine, but the lifter assembly would be less stress and probably improve performance. It's not like it will be evident appearance-wise. Cost will probably be negligible from replacing stock components. Also reduces potential for issues with low zinc content. Just curious.

Back