71-73 front Bumper Schooling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Mustangs in 71 & 72 came with chrome front bumpers as standard equipment, while Mach 1s came with the eurathane front bumper. As mentioned above, there were a couple of optional trim packages in 71/72 that included the Mach 1 style eurathane bumper also.

For 73, all cars sold in the US had to have 5mph front bumpers and 2.5mph rear bumpers, so the Mustang's bumpers for 73 reflected this change.

The new 73 eurathane front bumper was then included on all models...no chrome front bumpers on any 73 Mustangs.

The rear bumpers on 73s are the same as 71/72, yet are mounted an inch or so farther away from the body with some rubber spacers to hide the gaps.

Many people are mistaken about what a "5 mph bumper" is supposed to be designed to do...they think it should withstand an impact up to 5mph with no damage: not true.

The regulation was that a direct frontal impact of up to 5 mph could not damage any critical or functional part of the car...cooling, steering, engine, etc...

There is no regulation as to cosmetic damage.

I remember when the 73s were new, the new HUGE front bumpers combined with the 14" wheels/tires on the Mach 1 made the car look badly proportioned to me, I hated them.

But they grew on me and now they look just fine to me.

I had the same reaction to the new 79 Trans Am front end when it was new...I thought it was horrible.

But it grew on me...I love them now.
Almost right Kit. The 2 1/2 MPH rear bumpers were not mandated until the 74 model year. The 73 Mustang or any other 73 car back then did not have 2 1/2 MPH bumpers. Remember the 73 Corvette that had the new 5 MPH bumper but the same split chrome rear bumper?

Most cars in 73 had the massive chrome bumper that stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought the 73 Mustang Mach 1 front bumper was very well done especially when you compared to most othe 73 model cars back then.

WOW dude you just called KIT wrong! but it was cool that you escaped being banned by using the politically correct version of "almost right" :D

Almost right Kit. The 2 1/2 MPH rear bumpers were not mandated until the 74 model year. The 73 Mustang or any other 73 car back then did not have 2 1/2 MPH bumpers. Remember the 73 Corvette that had the new 5 MPH bumper but the same split chrome rear bumper?

Most cars in 73 had the massive chrome bumper that stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought the 73 Mustang Mach 1 front bumper was very well done especially when you compared to most othe 73 model cars back then.

WOW dude you just called KIT wrong! but it was cool that you escaped being banned by using the politically correct version of "almost right" :D
I know! He is not wrong often plus I think he likes me so he would never want to hurt me...at least for now. I just know that my 73 Corvette had the sam rear bumpers as the last years before them and I know they could not survive a 2 1/2 mph hit.

By the way, there are appear to be NO old parts here at the Goodguys Show here in Ft Worth. Rain is ruining everything here.

Since this is an informational thread I'll add that the entire '73 front bumpers were not one solid color from the factory. When new it had an area that was blacked out. There is a molded section in the bumper just in front of the grill opening and under both head lights that was painted black. This section was a 2 or 3" strip that went the entire length of the grill area. It was painted black to make the bumper not look so large.

During repaint sometimes the blacked out area isn't painted black, either by mistake, owner request or whatever reason.
I have never noticed the black out on the 73 before. I like it and would keep that as original if I had one. Again, for the time the 73 Mustang and the 73 Corvette were two examples of very well done bumpers. Most other cars in 73 had very ugly stuck on bumpers with no effort to make them blend. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, I am wrong plenty...thank you to those members of this forum who point out my mistakes with regularity.

There was a rear bumper requirement in 73 over and above previous-years requirements, but it was 2mph, not 2.5 mph as I stated above. That is why the rear-bumper mounting set-up on 73 Mustangs changed from 71/72.

And of course I like Mike!

Retired LEO from Houston...my hometown also!

Drives a 429 Mach...like me!

Has loved Machs for 40 years...like me!

Whats not to love? :)

Plus, Mike did me a HUGE personal favor last year that I will always be grateful for.

Thanks Mike!

Last edited:
poor KIT ...gonna have to put him in the 12 step program. HELLO...my name is KIT and I thought I was wrong ONCE

4149876689_12steps_xlarge.jpeg

Mike, I had my weather guru wife check and it sure appeared the rain was going to set in. Yet another car show I almost signed up for...every time i do ...something comes up. Usually i wait till the day of...and pay the extra fees.

To be fair, I am wrong plenty...thank you to those members of this forum who point out my mistakes with regularity.

There was a rear bumper requirement in 73 over and above previous-years requirements, but it was 2mph, not 2.5 mph as I stated above. That is why the rear-bumper mounting set-up on 73 Mustangs changed from 71/72.

And of course I like Mike!

Retired LEO from Houston...my hometown also!

Drives a 429 Mach...like me!

Has loved Machs for 40 years...like me!

Whats not to love? :)

Plus, Mike did me a HUGE personal favor last year that I will always be grateful for.

Thanks Mike!
Darn,

I guess he was right after all. I thought I was going to get a free oil change if I came to Fl one day! All in fun trying to catch Kit wrong, he does have a lot of knowledge about these cars.

And about that favor Kit. I was happy to be of service to you regarding that. The HPD owed you better treatment back in the day. It was my honor to help you.

Mike, I had my weather guru wife check and it sure appeared the rain was going to set in. Yet another car show I almost signed up for...every time i do ...something comes up. Usually i wait till the day of...and pay the extra fees.
RPMCarter,

I did find all the old parts vendors today but found zero Mustang parts other than a few hub caps. The bad weather killed this show but it did hold off until the very end today. There were no Mustangs newer than 69 at the show. A restored 11400 mile 1969 Boss 429 took the award in its class. It was from Oklahoma. I was not believing the owner was allowing people so close to the car. Plus, it did get wet from the rain.

I can put some pictures up if anyone wants to see it.

I don't really have any need for enrollment in any "12 step" program since I have never suffered from any unhealthy addictions.

But I would surely appreciate any advice from an experienced 12-step veteran like yourself. Feel free to unburden yourself.

Last edited:
OK - I think we've sufficiently tenderized the deceased equine. ;)

Let's move on by keeping the thread on-topic, M'Kay? Super. ::thumb::

I definitely like the 73s better with the blacked out area. The 71-72s had the dark grille that extended into (under) the front bumpers and the blackout on the 73s replicates that look. It also makes the bumper much sleeker as it is.

Yep, the black area at the top rear area of the '73 bumper certainly masks it bulk a little bit. It has always looked odd to me when I see one repainted without the black.

A friend of mine from WAY BACK in the late '70s in Houston had a beautiful 73 Mach 1. He repainted the correct area black, but also extended it out to follow the shape in front of the headlights. It looked excellent!

Hard to describe, and it sounds terrible to describe it but it looked great.

Last edited:
My guess would be yes but then that would be just a guess. With my luck I'd be wrong and being away on vacation right now at the Outer Banks of NC. I don't have my Ford parts books handy. I guess you can't pack every thing.

yes for 71-72 the re-enforcement brace is the same for both the urethane and chrome bumpers. the left and right bumper to frame mounts are also the same, as is the license plate holder bracket.

If I can bring this thread back on topic, is the reinforcement brace D1ZZ 17A792-A for a 71 for both the urethane and the chrome bumpers?

Thanks in advance.

Back