71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgSpreading more fibral on weld seams and getting roughed. After roughing all the seams I thin coat of polyester will be next. Due to shortening the fenders and hood the proportions had to be adjusted . I had to build a little filler on top of fenders to line up better with the hood.

image.jpg. I'm thinking that on these mustangs , that the hood didn't fit quite right and was slightly higher than the fender in the middle. The after market fender I used definitely was lower than the hood but both sides needed to be corrected.

image.jpgSurfing the net I found this pic of a mangusta, which is the predecessor to the pantera . I didn't realize it looks more like mine in the front.

image.pngRay buddy, I totally see this hood scoop for your build buddy. My favorite movie car from when I was a kid. Blew my mind.

I feel like the nasa scoops will clash less with a clear piece vs a painted scoop. And far cooler. Being so small, you'd buy a piece of plexi and bake it in your oven, over a metal scoop of your liking, and you have your hood show piece. Nylon screws are softer than plexi so it won't damage the drilled holes. I would however, make it flow through with some small holes in back of the plexi to relieve the air pressure on the scoop. I think it's 350 till it slumps then shut off and slow cool. Don't take my word. Look on line. IF you go with it that is. You could even get a 351 scoop or boss 429 scoop and add ribbing or fins just sitting on top and get a whole custom piece. I'd buy one off you if it turned out cool.

I know this may sound ridiculous considering all I'm going through with this build, but, building that plexi scoop sounds incredibly ambitious. Lol. I guess I'm just scared to death of plastic stuff. Fiberglass included. All things considered though your right. In the movie Grease, the 46 gets a clear hood, very cool and one of my fav movie cars. That Elvis vette is very cool. I wonder who built it. Kind of looks like George Barris's work. And who is the actress with him. I will check into the process on the plexi and see what I come up with. I have bent a little lexan in dash console fabrication, it wasn't too bad but it bends without heat. You can get clear lexan too. What about that inglese set up under there, lol mine just has a 750 double pumper with a tri power looking cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a metal fabricator with your fearlessness I doubt you'd have a problem making a custom air box that exposes 8 mini air filter elements that pop up into the plexi scoop. I really do think a metal scoop used as a jig to drape plexi or Lexan over is not difficult at all. The heat and gravity do all the work of forming. You can pick how tall or shallow you wan it to be. I am itching to try it myself. I will be when I need to shape the rear glass for the LEMANS hard top for the Cobra. But that's in October or November when I get the top. Worst that can happen in your case is you toss one or two pieces of plexi before you ace it.

Surfing the net I found this pic of a mangusta, which is the predecessor to the pantera

attachment.php

attachment.php

. I didn't realize it looks more like mine in the front.
Seeing these pics, I think I'm starting to get in your head a little bit and figuring out a little more about your inspiration.

This is going to be bad-ass on such an epic level. I SO cannot wait to see more. ::thumb::

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still following your build with great admiration and I can't wait to see where this is going. Your skills are amazing.

Thanks to you all for your interest and support. It Makes me glad I'm sharing. Never did much before always worked in a closet. So to speak, lol. Sharing with all of you and getting ideas and support is like nothing I've ever experienced. It great.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpgMore body work. Ground the edges of the drip rail smooth and filled them in partially. More work on the hood & front fenders and rear deck. Fiberal roughed over seams then a thin coat of rage.

Back