71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
two words---"Targa top"

the LS rear suspension is a Jag set up, but a bit more modern with outboard disc brakes.
This is cool stuff on this forum, you guys got me wanting to start over and do a complete chassis, independent rear suspension, targa top, 2" roof chop and a blown big block. I sort of wanted to do a cassis swap in the beginning. To do A targa top and independent rear it would almost be easier to do a full chassis. Ok so the brain gears are churning. I guess there'll be a second edition of this build. Thank for all your interest.

image.jpgFord built 69 rear independent and mid engine prototype

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really a cool thread. I like the way this is coming out. Just a side question with so much modification being done what happens to the original VIN? Is it hard to get it registered with the DMV?

Locally, such a car would just continue to be registered as it was originally.

Ray-your build is great. The ideas you may see here are of varying merit with mine being the ones of the least value. :D Since you are building the car for yourself, I would encourage you to remain faithful to your own vision.

This is really a cool thread. I like the way this is coming out. Just a side question with so much modification being done what happens to the original VIN? Is it hard to get it registered with the DMV?
I have known the DMV inspector and before him, his dad, for over 30 years. The car is legit, the numbers will not be touched through the build, the inspector looked at the car before I touched it, and my integrity is forthcoming with them. They know of my plans and will inspect it again before it can be tagged. Honesty pays I've never been involved with questionable or compromised situations. It's all good. Also my shop is a licensed inspection station in NC. :whistling:

I have known the DMV inspector and before him, his dad, for over 30 years. The car is legit, the numbers will not be touched through the build, the inspector looked at the car before I touched it, and my integrity is forthcoming with them. They know of my plans and will inspect it again before it can be tagged. Honesty pays I've never been involved with questionable or compromised situations. It's all good. Also my shop is a licensed inspection station in NC. :whistling:
Yes it will carry the original vin number and be titled as it was ,a 71 mach1. I also have the option of turning in the original title, as proof of ownership , then have a new custom vehicle dated when completed, for example , a 2015 custom vehicle, which can either carry the original vin or be assigned a new number by the state. NC is quite reasonable about custom car titles. This process requires the purchase of an indemnity bond. This is car country here where several NASCAR greats have and still do live.

I have been kind of distracted this week, not much got done. Working on fabbing trunk lid and hinge placement. Along with filling the remainder of the rear panel. Lots of tedious sheet metal but welding, little obvious progress. Pics next week. Thanks guys!

image.jpgDeck lid fabbed & hinged and rest of rear panel filled. [/i]

image.jpg

Deck lid fabbed & hinged and rest of rear panel filled. [/i]

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some more nice work there Ray. What is the plan for tail lights rear bumper etc
Original rear bumper. Tail lights are undecided at this time still, I was going with original with led sequential kit. Had a few comments with alternative suggestions. Kind of got me thinking but not come up with a change plan, so for now back panel is set for original lights. Easy enough to change at any point for a while. Waiting to see if anything hits me. I have a friend with a machine shop and we discussed a new billet bezel that would downsize the lens area and slightly change the shape but not sure at this time. do ya have any thoughts?

Ray I actually like the original lights, especially how they resemble the rear profile of the car its a nice styling que and so subtle most don't see it until its pointed out slightly down sized would be neat, however You have a very good eye so stick with your plans you don't need my advice.

Ray I actually like the original lights, especially how they resemble the rear profile of the car its a nice styling que and so subtle most don't see it until its pointed out slightly down sized would be neat, however You have a very good eye so stick with your plans you don't need my advice.
Well , i think your right about the lights , I like em too. I feel they are just right and fit the contour fine . I've actually seen them used on a 2009 mustang and it looks great. I didn't want to rob the 71 of all its character , just add to it. Adding the sequential kit will be very cool . I like the big body stangs I just always thought they were a bit bulky. however, your wrong about me not needing your advise, it is greatly appreciated , I'm glad to hear someone tell me they like the original lights because that's how I feel. Have a great day, as I think when were going to bed here , your getting up . Lol

image.jpgHow the 71 began its new life. Dragged in about as rough as they get. Missing a lot of parts. After about a hundred hours of sanding , cleaning, hanging new panels , etc ,etc, I then decided to cut her up and give her a whole new attitude . Hence the beginning of my Mustera RC . Work on the project has been slow. More build pics to follow soon. Thank all of you for the support.

image.jpg

How the 71 began its new life. Dragged in about as rough as they get. Missing a lot of parts. After about a hundred hours of sanding , cleaning, hanging new panels , etc ,etc, I then decided to cut her up and give her a whole new attitude . Hence the beginning of my Mustera RC . Work on the project has been slow. More build pics to follow soon. Thank all of you for the support.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgRough in on front lower valance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rough in on front lower valance.
Front valance is brought forward to under the bumper . It is also 3" lower to the ground than the rockers creating a ground effect. Sorta like a pouty lower lip lol. It bolts to the bottom of the fender extension as a separate removable piece .

image.jpgHeadlight assemblies in place and mounted . I know they're not ford, but technically they're generic since they're made in Taiwan . I think it's the best blend of retro while adding a contemporary flare.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgI started some of the 100s of ft of butt welding ahead of me. The front fenders have so many pieces that they'll require a skim coat of bondo.

I'm rethinking those headlights, too mad max, think I'm gonna reset them back into the grill about 3". Any comments? Help me out here guys. I think a more phantom look after I close them in with the grill that set back would be better. I hate doing things twice but it's just not working .

Our cars scream for a hidden headlight solution.

2040hu.jpg

I did this in paint just to show what I'm thinking

Our cars scream for a hidden headlight solution.

2040hu.jpg

I did this in paint just to show what I'm thinking
Ok, I can see that. Now I'm sure mine are too out there lol. I'll rework it and see what I come up with. Had thought about a phantom grill early on. Thanks for the input

Back