71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cars scream for a hidden headlight solution.
x559Nd8.jpg

v1.jpg

Didnt our friend Seamon "Bunky" have something to do with the similarities between our 7173 and when he was at GM and the 67 68 Camaro? Look at our dash compared to the 67 68 Camaro. Hate to say it... but.

Just messing around. I think you need some definition around the headlights. Otherwise it kind of looks like it's wearing two pairs of reading glasses. Just my humble opinion which isnt worth much anyway.

I'm gonna begin by moving them back into the grill area about 2 1/2" the see where it goes from there . I also don't oppose the mad max thing just want it different. It stinks when you spend a couple thousand hours on a project to have someone tell you oh that looks like ??? (Mad max's car) I strive for artistic originality ,Except of course ,they say ,it looks like a pantera LOL. But in truth I do want it to also look like a mustang. I want people to be able to tell where its heritage started. I guess that's why I ended up cutting up everything after years of restoration. Having people say things like, , oh he did a good job on that mustang. I'd rather hear ,what the heck is that, it looks like a mustang , but not really ,what did he do to that thing? Is it a custom pantera ? I'm not at all trying to be derogatory towards great restorations ,or any restoration attempt, rather just challenge things a bit and be creative. I built a lot of original cars I'm proud of but enjoy more expressing myself through customizing. Any effort put into classic cars is a commendable undertaking. Weather it be a rat, original, resto mod, resto rod, hot rod, custom or radical custom , even if I don't really like some of the them, it's all great!!! I love looking at the passion and work that's displayed on this forum, everybody keep our hobby alive. Tell a young kid about your car. Most of all be proud. Wow that was too long winded, but ya I'm bit!!!

Didnt our friend Seamon "Bunky" have something to do with the similarities between our 7173 and when he was at GM and the 67 68 Camaro? Look at our dash compared to the 67 68 Camaro. Hate to say it... but.

Just messing around. I think you need some definition around the headlights. Otherwise it kind of looks like it's wearing two pairs of reading glasses. Just my humble opinion which isnt worth much anyway.
You are speaking my feelings. I do Plan to surround those headlights with a grill that deminishes the size of the actual round section substantially, and defines them as individual round headlights with the top cut of. I like both the camaro headlight look and the challenger but decided the latter had more of a retro look. Unfortunately the new mustang headlights didn't work for me. You'll see how this will take the bulk out of what you see as they are. That's so much for the input.

Our cars scream for a hidden headlight solution.
x559Nd8.jpg
Wow that pic does look like a camaro funny car it's so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think your twin headlight setup is bad as such but imho the lenses are too big in diameter. The size works if it's only one headlight but when it's a pair they need to be smaller.

Best example for a perfect twin headlight setup is the 71 'Cuda. (Well the 71 ' Cuda is a perfect example for almost everything, I guess.) :)

image.jpgOk, keep this in mind, I agree the headlights as they are are too big, but after the bezels and grill are installed it takes on a new dimension. I will cut some cardboard and snap pics to show you what I mean 1st of the week. [/i]

Can you picture that on the front of the mustang with a corraled horse in the middle like off a 65 or 66 you know the 6 1/2 inch mustang.

The grill I've been designing, cuts the diameter of the headlights even more than the challenger. Also ones a headlight and the other is a turn signal I'm cutting that one down even more. I'm jonesin now to show you guys where I'm going with this. Check next week for pics, I'll play with it and get some shots out there. Thanks again for the thoughts. I greatly appreciate it. I've never before done forum postings like this to get opinions, I think it's great. Better than when it's all done , people repeating the same why did ya do it that ways. I'm happy to give everyone's comments consideration!!!

image.jpgWas seriously considering this look too for headlights . 69 for sure one of my favorite years other than 71-73 of course.

That's an interesting rendition of a 69.

I also think that the 69 has the best nose of all Mustangs. (And that the 69 fastback is the prettiest Mustang of them all, no matter how much I like the 123s).

Back 2.5 inches sounds good. I like the look and as you say bezels will alter the appearance dramatically especially if the grill quarters the lights and has the traditional forward slope. Adds a bit of exoticar vibe I think. This has been great to watch Ray

That's an interesting rendition of a 69.

I also think that the 69 has the best nose of all Mustangs. (And that the 69 fastback is the prettiest Mustang of them all, no matter how much I like the 123s).
That 69 is the Mach 40, it's on GT40 chassis mid engine set up , very cool!

Back 2.5 inches sounds good. I like the look and as you say bezels will alter the appearance dramatically especially if the grill quarters the lights and has the traditional forward slope. Adds a bit of exoticar vibe I think. This has been great to watch Ray
I like that," exoticar vibe." I can try to lean the grill. In retrospect I kinda limited my options by taking 8 1/2 inches off the nose . Maybe I could get the effect by simply leaning the horse emblem. Now I'm wishing I had a couple extra inches to pull this off. Gonna be fun to see where this ends up. Any change at this point unfortunately has a ripple effect. Moving lights back, then gotta relocate or reconfigure the radiator, battery box ,splash panels, so on so on, But it's all good !!!

That's an interesting point. I've been using odyssey airline battery's on all my projects for the past year. They are awesome , very compact, dry cell flexible mounting options and best of all, can sit for months without loosing a charge if fully charged before sitting. It's the only way to go on a vehicle that only gets used once in a while or sits for a few months at a time. Had a stinger dry cell in my model a that lasted 8 years but did loose a charge after sitting a while. Not many people are aware of the availability of these new batts and the pricing is not far off for what you get.

image.jpgOk here's the change. I moved them back 2". A made cardboard bezels to simulate the effect the ones I'm fabbing will have. They will also have 1" recess rings on them to give dimension. This should give you a better perspective of my intended look. Hopefully, no more reading glass look LOL. The grill will not be completed for a while but I wanted to get this out there .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeh bezels make a huge difference. To me it looks a like a aussie falcon only finer proportions at the front now not a bad thing. I think this pic will show that a bit and also why I suggested the raked grill as ours are dead flat

addpb9.jpg
[/img]

Yes a falcon XB 71 ? Your exactly right. When you first posted on my thread I wanted to ask you if any XB parts were available because that was my exact recipe on original plans, thanks Luke, that tells me I've pulled it off, makes me feel great . That's the very look I wanted big headlight , big but slightly smaller second light. You nailed it man!!!!! ;-)

image.jpg

Yes a falcon XB 71 ? Your exactly right. When you first posted on my thread I wanted to ask you if any XB parts were available because that was my exact recipe on original plans, thanks Luke, that tells me I've pulled it off, makes me feel great . That's the very look I wanted big headlight , big but slightly smaller second light. You nailed it man!!!!! ;-)
Also love what I can see of the deuce coupe next to it. My coupes a 31 because I had it for 25 years before I did it. Mines flamed up though. Saw a falcon XB in Daytona fla a couple years ago, not many here. It was a yellow 71

Ray

just fyi thats a XC coupe

5pq0iv.jpg
[/img]

XB

23vg55v.jpg
[/img]

and a XA just to see the evolution XA came first than XB XC

es70ax.jpg
[/img]

Nice rod mate.