71' Mach 1, boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don' take this the wrong way but do you really own a Boss 351? A Mach1 with a 351C does not make it a Boss. As you should know Bosses also had the chrome front bumper and the hood was painted almost all argent. You hood looks like a Mach1, the bumper looks like a Mach1 and the only thing that says Boss is the decals on the fender. Provide the engine code in the VIN and we can help. To get you started in 1971 (the only year of the Boss 351 Mustang) there was a:

H - 351C 2bbl

Q - 351C 4 bbl CJ (available with 4 speed or automatic)

R - 351C 4 bbl BOSS (renamed the HO in 1972) 4 speed only

Good afternoon guys over the weekend i got some work done on the car, We got the hood off and the car on blocks the trunk and the rear seat and the 1/8th in of bondo off of the rear quarter panel. We also got the door panels off and are working on getting the heater core out. The tail lights are out and I primed the rear panel and cleaned out the trunk for undercoat and a coat of black paint. Let me know what you think about my progress. Oh the power steering needs to be redone as well thats for a furher date. I also plan on a set of seats with a 5 point harness and the rear will be re-done. The floorboards are actually not as bad as we thought they would be. And now that the hood is off i can actually see the damage which is minimal. as the car comes apart the more of a story it tells. thanks for looking guys.

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6791.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

:cool: Look like you jumped in head first. I think you have got more done in a week or so than I have in a year. LOL Looks good stay with it and take lots of pictures along the way.

Don' take this the wrong way but do you really own a Boss 351? A Mach1 with a 351C does not make it a Boss. As you should know Bosses also had the chrome front bumper and the hood was painted almost all argent. You hood looks like a Mach1, the bumper looks like a Mach1 and the only thing that says Boss is the decals on the fender. Provide the engine code in the VIN and we can help. To get you started in 1971 (the only year of the Boss 351 Mustang) there was a:

H - 351C 2bbl

Q - 351C 4 bbl CJ (available with 4 speed or automatic)

R - 351C 4 bbl BOSS (renamed the HO in 1972) 4 speed only
Nice ride for sure ! but with out a vin... I think I'm looking at a Q code mach with boss fender decals

As I said I have only had the car for a while and the motor was a rebuild so there is no way of really telling. The whood was painted to look more attractive for sale so it's not reallythe original hood paint. The stickers are original so it may or may not be. I'll get the vin off the car and find out.

and I am not really set on selling it as its my first car so I want to build it the way I want and if i choose to sell it ill get what its worth. So it may or may not be but Its really not concerning me at this time

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get the vin off the car and find out.
Right on! Nice progress. You could also have a 1 of 1 Super Mustang called the Bosach-1 Sorta like the Legendary T5 Ford made back in the days :whistling: Either way, Boss, Mach or Bosach..It's one solid looking car. Keep up the great work and post the vin!

Right on! Nice progress. You could also have a 1 of 1 Super Mustang called the Bosach-1 Sorta like the Legendary T5 Ford made back in the days :whistling: Either way, Boss, Mach or Bosach..It's one solid looking car. Keep up the great work and post the vin!
DJ...Bosach :huh: I think u: mean BO-ZAK Wasn't that a take off of the 49 Zodiac special ? :p

DJ...Bosach :huh: I think u: mean BO-ZAK Wasn't that a take off of the 49 Zodiac special ? :p
If it has a BOSS 351 Vin "R" code it's worth about DOUBLE what a 351CJ car would bring so it makes a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE to potential buyers somewhere down the road if you sell it. The valve covers are correct for a Boss so who knows - maybe someone else just did some weird things to the car. People put chrome bumpers on Mach1's all the time but that does not make them a Boss 351.

Ok guys so It seams the car is a Mach 1 not a boss 351. I will be replicating the car as it sits now and it'll be a boss replica mach 1 as far as I'm concerned. So thats the history as i no it and the motor is a 1972 Cobra-jet Cleveland not a Windsor.

Heres the vin. 1F05H160534

You can clone my car - it's an early 72 (august 71) H code that now has a 351CJ. Of course it has duals (H code were single exhaust) and I do not have the staggered shocks and I added the rear anti-sway bar but I still have the FMX tranny so I've got semi-CJ Mach1.:huh:

Great start on the tear down and good luck. You will find there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help out with almost any question on 71-73 Mustangs.

Here's an easy one. How many Mach1 convertibles were made?

Answer is ZERO but from some reason I see them on Ebay all the time. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is its your car to build however you want to. People have many opinion and you know what they say about opinions so.............Build it and enjoy it for many years to come.

Hello!! i´ve been reading your post and bottom line... your car looks great!! It maybe old but it´s not damaged at all and maybe you dont even have to restore it... Just a big manteinence and you can have a car who´s unrestored... I know lot´s of people loves the shinning cars, all new and so, but me, personally prefer when the car has his own story in his parts...

In my opinion, if you dont need to, dont change the front seats... This years mustangs has the most comfortable seats i ever try on a classic car, besides, they are quite safe.

My car has the 3 point seatbelts and when you´re driving the car, you feel safe...

Another story would be is your plans are to get a really fast car.. But, just my opinion...

Keep us posted please, we love to see a progress as yours!°

Great progress and a great looking 'stang! Keep up the great work and keep us in the loop.

You can modify her to your heart's content and call her a convertible, if you want to. :D We're here because we love all shapes and sizes. :cool:

Doc

GREAT progress on your '71!

...and as several have noted or inferred, it is YOUR car to do whatever you WANT to do with it.

THIS site is about and for people who like, own or are interested in the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs, whether they be full-on restorations, modified or anything in between.

The questions relative to your VIN (I believe) were generated to help you understand what you have. Many of us have not been overly impressed with the performance, safety and even options of our vehicles, so we changed them to suit OUR needs and/or desires.

You are in the right place and I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums as you continue the journey with your first car! Whether that is building your very own Boss 351, a clone, a replica or a modified, we are here to try and help.

BT

Thanks every body I will keep everybody informed on my progress and I have a vision and thats where i am headed with it. Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back