71 mach starting to put back together

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOrtega0073

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Sup forum first thread here but i found this place with some luck!

I have a 71 mach 1 I'm restoring...(its actually in pretty good shape)

I just bought a rebuilt long block 351w for it. It has

Bored block .30

oversized pistons .30

new timing chain and sprockets

new gaskets

new seals

new oil pump

resurfaced head

Now, I am kinda new to this so I have been reading up a ton on building my motor for street/strip use. It is going to be carb'd and i already got all the parts like alt,power steering etc.

so this is what i have lined up to buy for it.

ati crank damper.

hyper or forged pistons

arp rod bolts

cam (??size lift)

ill be lookin for a medium rise intake

and I saw a 680 cfm quick fuel carb that I am really diggin

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-bd-680-vs/overview/

since I am kinda new to this I wana get some suggestions or feedback on my build

thanks

351w.jpg

Looks like you're making some good progress - thanks for the pics!!!

Go to our Introduction page and tell us about yourself and your car. That way you can post more pics of your car :) and we can welcome you properly to our little piece of the 'net.

Ray

Anything north of about 400-450 horsepower will require pretty extensive suspension mods to be able to put it to the ground and drive safely. Factor the cost into the build if you go that route.

I like ARP hardware and used it for my motor build for main studs, head studs, rocker arm studs, oil pan bolts, oil pump drive and even carb studs-even if it is just for peace of mind, I know that I didn't build my engine with a left over, unknown fastener.

What are your intended uses for the car?-that will help people chime in with whether forged pistons are necessary etc.

Right I have already considered a 4 link and disc brakes around

I intend to be able to take it to the track, make some good runs... nothing like a 10 sec pass or anything. I have a 2011 v6 mustang running mid 13s. so maybe something that can top that for now. By the way i read somewhere the 71 mach 1 came stock wtth 3.91 gears i believe is that true i ran my vin and it is a mach 1 just curious.

lol not too sure It has been a while since I ran the vin.. I do remember it was for sure a 351 probably Cleveland

Right I have already considered a 4 link and disc brakes around

I intend to be able to take it to the track, make some good runs... nothing like a 10 sec pass or anything. I have a 2011 v6 mustang running mid 13s. so maybe something that can top that for now. By the way i read somewhere the 71 mach 1 came stock wtth 3.91 gears i believe is that true i ran my vin and it is a mach 1 just curious.
No the 71 Mach 1 could have had 275 to 350 ratio's

391's were an option in 429 cars and standard in the 71 Boss and 72 R code

Might have been possible to get them in a M code Mach but I have never seen one with them

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks for the clarification! ^^^

with all that do you guys think porting my heads is a must???

Last edited by a moderator:
Porting heads is dependent upon your goals-and your heads!

I'd say pick a power level that will make you happy, go find a cam that will get you there by looking at lunati and competition cam's websites and then start to think about porting and other such alterations.

Heads need porting when they restrict the airflow level below that needed by the rest of the assembled parts. Until then porting is generally not going to produce much in the way of results. If you intend to run a 680CFM carb, then your heads likely will outflow the carb-hence porting becomes a waste of money-BUT if you upgrade down the road . . .

it is a slippery slope.

As a side note, check your clearance on the oil pump to oil pan before you cinch it down with the bolts. Seen a few 351w hi volume oil pumps make contact and poke a small hole in the oil pan.

OK so i went looking for cams and found this kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl35-226-3/requiredparts/make/ford?prefilter=1

.512/.512 lift but do I need to get springs along with these?

the stock heads were resurfaced, and the guy i bought them off of said they were "shortened" I am currently not near my motor so I wouldnt know for sure how much.

Or another question what kind of lift (hydraulic) cam should i be looking for?

Back