'71 Mustang clicking issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Don said, make sure the balancer bolt is loose enough to allow the balancer to move.

I usually pull the washer off too if possible...

Also if you loosen the balancer bolt then start to screw in the center of the puller watch that it doesn't turn the bolt back in tight. (ask me how I know)

Also if you loosen the balancer bolt then start to screw in the center of the puller watch that it doesn't turn the bolt back in tight. (ask me how I know)
So the kit I rented came with two long bolts with a small thread. They were long bolts. I threaded them in. With the duck foot flush with the balancer. That did not work as the balancer kept spinning when I threaded the center bolt and tried to tighten it. Then I tried the same method but this time I tried the pulley bolts with the same thing happening. Then I tried the long bolts again but this time I tried with the ducks foot further from the balancer itself. That is when one of the bolts bent and when I went to unscrew the bolt it broke inside the balancer.  :huh: so now I have a broken bolt inside which I know I need a screw extractor. Any recommendations on a good aftermarket balancer removal tool?

That's the way I've always done it, the puller center bolt against the head of the crank/balancer/pulley bolt, with the crank bolt loosened up a 1\4", or so. The puller bolts have to be adjusted so the center bolt is centered on the head of the crank bolt.

I've had to brace the puller, before, too, but never broke or bent the puller bolts.
Oh that is what I did wrong! I did not thread the original bolt without the washer in. I just threaded the big bolt that came with the puller and tightened it as much as I could. I hope I did not damage the crankshaft  :-/

Quick update to those still interested. The stock water pump has an oblong spin to it so I have replaced it. Some of the bolts used were not correct for it so I had to replace them with the correct ones. While under the car I noticed the bolts that bolt down the transmission mount were loose. Like so loose I could spin them with my fingers. I am still waiting for my pushrods before I can put the whole thing back together and see if the vibration has worsened or hopefully gotten better.

Back