71 with side pipes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase.Heuer

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 2004 daily driver v6 and am now the proud owner of a 1973 coupe
is the 71 too low to put side pipes on? some thing like this is what i was looking at
dd017d.jpg

I don't really have anything useful to add except that I had a 71 Sportsroof when I was in high school that had those side pipes on it. I don't remember any issues, but mine had giant 295/50-15 tires with air shocks in the back, so probably not representative...

every so often I think about side pipes. If your car is lowered, they can be a problem. While they won't typically drag, when getting in and out of the car it is quite easy to burn yourself on them. This is even more true for taller and older drivers who have a little more trouble getting in and out of a lowered car. A good ceramic coating on the pipes and heat shield might help with this.

Sidepipes are a look that isn't for everyone-I personally think they can be as cool as ice cream.

i was going to do a 1 1/2" to 2" lift on the back

My subframe connecter probably hang down just as low. Try not to use your side pipes as 'sliders' over a curb and you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back