72 Convertible - Finishing the restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I picked the car up today and am happy to say the paint finish is good :). Big relief. This is what it looks like now with the 71/72 urethane bumper, new fender and hood extensions and sports mirrors.

1232_zpsqfbtgost.jpg

done5_zpsbdvtj6c1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is looking great since you got all the issues fixed. Is the conversion to dollars around 0.66 so it cost $1,800 - $1,900 for the work?

That would be a great price with all the work you had to do if in the U.S..

If you want a shock get a price to do complete tear down and rotisserie restore to original. It cost more than the car will sell for.

David

$4500 all in. But that's cheap in the UK and the dollar is strong against the pound at the moment. I was quoted $12,000 for a tear down respray by one body shop. It's called "Rip off Britain" for a reason!

Hi Mark,

Congrats on getting the car back. I must say it's looking very sharp all over. You must be pleased and proud of her now.::thumb::

You can never really tell from photos, and i would have to be there in person to look at the car close up to pass a proper opinion on the paint job and finish as such, but your pics give me the impression that a good job was done and you got value for money so to speak.

Forgive me for being a little picky, but i noticed from your photos that the alignment of the driver's door seems to be out a little. The door appears to have dropped a little. Also, who ever applied your side stripes did not get the alignment good and straight around the start of the quarter panel where it comes off the door. I think that spoils things just a touch. I think in both cases, you would be well within your rights to ask for those issues to be rectified at the shops expense.

Any way, great job and congratulations again Mark!

Greg.:)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments. Don't worry, I'm picky too. The door was like that before, but yes I need to get it looked at. And yes, you're right, the stripe is on the rear quarter is on the wonk. I noticed that when I got the car back. I did tell him to use a laser line to position the stripes, but he obviously didn't. The problem is he's put 3 coats of clear lacquer over the strip, so it will be a problem to change it. And it's a 3 hour drive back to the spray shop in horrible congested UK traffic, which I can do with out. I'll mention it to him and see what he says.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments. Don't worry, I'm picky too. The door was like that before, but yes I need to get it looked at. And yes, you're right, the stripe is on the rear quarter is on the wonk. I noticed that when I got the car back. I did tell him to use a laser line to position the stripes, but he obviously didn't. The problem is he's put 3 coats of clear lacquer over the strip, so it will be a problem to change it. And it's a 3 hour drive back to the spray shop in horrible congested UK traffic, which I can do with out. I'll mention it to him and see what he says.
Yes, putting clear over the stripes will present major problems for any rectification work undertaken. It might pay to just leave things as they are, because removing the stripe, laying down a new one and refinishing again, will mean having to respray the entire quarter panel again. Not good i guess, and he won't be happy or want to carry out the rectification needed. The door is certainly something that should be looked at and fixed i would think, but there again, you'll have trouble with the stripe being out of alignment once the door is raised. That would mean of course, that the stripe would have to be removed, and replaced, and the whole door resprayed over again.:mad::mad::mad:

Best of luck with it all,

Thanks for your advice Greg. So you think the driver's door has dropped then? The strip is annoying but I'll put up with it, the car's no garage queen and it's going to get used. I could contact the spray shop about it , but I'd rather not having a load of bad feeling about it as I want to enjoy the car.

Took some more pics of it, as it stopped raining over here for a whole morning, wow!!

Mustang%204_zpszzqensew.jpg

Mustang%202_zpsojgdpt8a.jpg

Mustang%203_zpscqc0xh8l.jpg

Mustang%201_zpsjq3ishny.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

(Thanks for your advice Greg. So you think the driver's door has dropped then?)

Yeah, i would think there's something going on with the hinges or hinge adjustment there, but the alignment of the back of the door to the quarter panel looks pretty good in your pics though. I would also look at the positioning and adjustment of the front fender/guard where it meets the front door as well.

In any case, you've said above that you'll probably end up living with the door and stripe issues, and fair enough too. I fully understand your thinking on that subject.The Mustang is looking very sharp overall, so no real need to worry.

One other thing that caught my eye - I noticed your trunk/boot alignment out a little to the rear quarters. That can be rectified with my trunk alignment method i came up with last year or so. I wrote an article on it and posted it up for the Forum. Here's a link to it, and i hope it's of help to you.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-alighnment-trick

Thanks Mark,

Thanks for the link and write up of on the trunk alignment. Sounds like that should sort the problem. When I bought the car, I thought the rear wing had been lifted from a bump at some point but the body shop said it hadn't, just the trunk had swisted. Glad it seems a common problem and it can be sorted :).

Back