72 Mach 1 Sports roof - What Grommet goes where?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Guys,

As per the discussion in my other thread re carpets and the holes in the front foot wells.

I purchased the 13 piece grommet set from Scott Drake as the 2 grommets in the front foot wells were missing.

13 piece grommet set.jpg

I then set about installing them and replacing those already in the car and installing them where they were missing.

My question is.. The 2 grommet's in the lower left of the above picture seem to be the right size for the ones in the foot well of the car where they were missing.

However, when I got to the trunk these same size grommets were installed in the floor of the trunk.

This is a picture of the foot well on the right side of the car with the 2 new grommet sizes that appear to fit.

20210601_141721 (Large).jpg

This is a picture of the trunk. The Grommet at the bottom of the picture is the one that came out of the hole. The one at the top is a new one (Just dusty from the trunk area).

20210601_141701 (Large).jpg

The front foot wells look like that have had grommets in there per the picture, but when I listed the carpet and the underlay that seemed to be not have moved since installed, they were missing.

The question is.. What one should be in the 2 trunk holes and what one should be in the front foot well on the left and right of the car?

Any help would be appreciated.

OK so I went with the small grommet in the foot well and the large ones in the trunk. The carpet is now reinstalled.

The next job is to clean up the trunk floor as it has a heap of surface rust.

I have replaced the other rubber grommets around the car also.

OK so I went with the small grommet in the foot well and the large ones in the trunk. The carpet is now reinstalled.

My second set of grommets are on order. First one misplaced. I need a few here and there.

I don't think it really matters. The main thing is that they fit tight and will not come out.  I ran into the same thing and used the larger ones under the carpet since they set flatter and went with the smaller ones in the trunk. 

Back