72 Mach1 H.O.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those rotted-out out sections at the top of the A-pillars are indicative of major rot in other areas, especially the dash and cowl areas. Check the floors and torque-boxs well. You don't want to be driving a car with rotted torque-boxes or floor rails. That type of total restorative repair is hugely expensive.

Switching everything to a donor body would probably be far easier, less expensive and end up better.
Well if you put the parts in another body - say an F code fastback

You now have an F code fastback with a R code HO drivetrain

Or are you saying to change the VIN :dodgy:

Yes, transfer all the VIN info over to the new body so it will still be a numbers matching car. This is perfectly legal ( as long as you legitimately own both vehicles) and accepted and is done all the time. The car could not ever be presented or sold as "original", but it will be a complete numbers matching car.

With all the resto work needed to be done on this car as it sits now, once restored, it will never be able to boast of being "original" either.

That is unless it is driven as-is. Then you would have a real-life "Joe Dirt" Mustang!

Last edited:
There was a post last year concerning the VIN on the shock tower aprons and what is required to change them. Makes for some interesting reading.

After October 25, 1984, the falsification or removal of any VIN required by the DOT on a motor vehicle is a federal crime under 18 U.S.C 511. Motor vehicles which have had their DOT required VINs falsified or removed after October 24, 1984, are subject to seizure and forfeiture under 18 U.S.C 512

That statute, of course applies to attempted falsification. If you legally own both vehicles in question, and apprise your local DMV of your intentions beforehand, this a perfectly legitimate procedure. Happens all the time.

Yea I work for the government as a federal officer. I looked the whole vin switch and to me it's not worth it. A lot of red tape! Plus if u ever sell the car it opens a lot of chances of something coming back at u.

That statute, of course applies to attempted falsification. If you legally own both vehicles in question, and apprise your local DMV of your intentions beforehand, this a perfectly legitimate procedure. Happens all the time.
The following is just my opinion. I am not a lawyer.

I would NEVER do this but if I was to consider it - I would consult an attorney and get everything in writing. I would think it is highly illegal. They call the shops that do this "chop shops". Because they cut up; chop, one car to make it look like another. Individuals that do it are just as illegal.

If it "happens all the time" - why do you never hear anyone identifying this when a car is sold?????????? Buyers be VERY aware!!!

This is one of the most damaging practices in the classic car industry today. Personally, I feel there is too much opportunity to defraud when this takes place.

What if the current owner of both vehicles decides to sell? To get the most money out of the re-bodied rare car - there would be tons of pressure to not disclose. And then if the car changes hands a few times the history of this VIN swap is lost. Then what if the other front fender support with the correct VIN for the rare car is found - someone tries to sell it as rare. Now you have some serious trouble. And while this last scenario would be not-too-common, it could happen.

If the VIN doesn't match the body (under fender support stamping) the the car has been altered and needs to be thoroughly documented. And then if those numbers do not match the motor and transmission - it is NOT a "numbers matching" car. It is really that simple.

This and similar activity are what make lower-mileage, one or few-owner cars so valuable.

Ray

Thats odd. I have seen a state-aproved VIN switch done to several restored vehicles, and they have all been simple and straighforward procedures with no hassle.

How to you think all those restored Camaros and early Mustangs with Dynacorn bodies are getting titled?

Thats odd. I have seen a state-aproved VIN switch done to several restored vehicles, and they have all been simple and straighforward procedures with no hassle.

How to you think all those restored Camaros and early Mustangs with Dynacorn bodies are getting titled?
You say state appoved vin - that is not going to be the R code vin - at least in Ohio. it will be a generic set of numbers / VIN

Dii bodies get titled as kit cars or should be

They come with a DII serial number and a cert of origin

It is also different for each state

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely know that is not true in every case...

Looking closely at those pictures again, the rust does not seem as bad as I originally thought. Just thst one corner looks terrible.

Can't understand why anyone would leave a decent condition car of this pedigree out in the elements deteriorate so badly.

Who knows, you may be able to just give it a real good cleaning and mechanical update and just drive it as is.

I didn't say a state re-VIN...I said a state approved VIN_switch.

But thats OK. you sound like you know more about it than I do. I say he follows your advice.

Last edited:
waiting to hear if he bought the car. BTW, anyone know if there were any HO verts made? i read the HO option was available in any body in 72. nice to see rare stuff still available. Havent heard of those 2 Firestone white coupes in years.

waiting to hear if he bought the car. BTW, anyone know if there were any HO verts made? i read the HO option was available in any body in 72. nice to see rare stuff still available. Havent heard of those 2 Firestone white coupes in years.
Yes, there were a few R-code verts made. 49 s the number that sticks out in my head. I know where 2 of those 49 cars are. One of them is 10 minutes away from my house and belongs to a buddy of mine. A 3rd one belongs to a member on here that isn't very active...actually all 3 owners are active on here but I only know 2 of them.

so 72 R code verts.. that's much more rare than a 71 Boss 351 ! and today more drivable as well. There are some cars that will go up in value very soon. When i bought my Hcode car for $10k it was average price...prob worth 50-70% more today. not bad for a hobby! Of course i put some TLC and HP into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
so 72 R code verts.. that's much more rare than a 71 Boss 351 ! and today more drivable as well. There are some cars that will go up in value very soon. When i bought my Hcode car for $10k it was average price...prob worth 50-70% more today. not bad for a hobby! Of course i put some TLC and HP into it.
Marti book says

72 R codes

19 HT

366 FB

13 convertibles

We bought the car. Everything seemed to work out. Got the car for more than I was hoping to get it for but it's ok. The floors and frame r very nice and over all I hope to get the car running very soon. New gas lines and brake line r first.

Congrstulations!

Don't get "chop shops" who do illegal vin switching confused with legitimate restoration shops that rebody classic cars legally.

It is only illegal if you do it to defraud somebody. If you do it correctly and with the DMVs approval, there is no issue.

Last edited:
The DMV will put their own special dash tag to explain that you havetaken an R code code and used a Q code body. So what does that make the car now? S or T code? They do this so people cannot rebody and still call it a rare R code. I think.

We bought the car. Everything seemed to work out. Got the car for more than I was hoping to get it for but it's ok. The floors and frame r very nice and over all I hope to get the car running very soon. New gas lines and brake line r first.
Nice score , congrats

Don

The DMV only assigns a new VIN if the car does not have a current legitimate title or vin...such asbuilding a car froma junk yard hulk or such.

I have been involved in restoring cars for 30+ years, and I have seen multie examples of DMV-approved examples of an original vin and title legally switchex to another body.

But, belive what you want to, its not mycar.

Thats great, Im excited for you and also green with envy. Post some pics along the way as you work on it. Im glad the body wasn't too bad.

Back