72 Mach1 H.O.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick question. the shifter. did the car come with a t-handle hurst or a black black ball handle?

quick question. the shifter. did the car come with a t-handle hurst or a black black ball handle?
I believe the 72 4-speeds all came with a round shifter handle with the word "HURST" embossed on a flat spot on each side, and a black cue-ball shifter.

I am not aware of any 72s that came with the flat rod or the t-handle as shown. But who knows...stranger things have happened!

My assumption is that someone cloned a BOSS 351 out of this HO and put the correct shifter in. Kind of strange to do so...

I believe the 72 4-speeds all came with a round shifter handle with the word "HURST" embossed on a flat spot on each side, and a black cue-ball shifter.

I am not aware of any 72s that came with the flat rod or the t-handle as shown. But who knows...stranger things have happened!

My assumption is that someone cloned a BOSS 351 out of this HO and put the correct shifter in. Kind of strange to do so...
Kit,

I agree. All of the original 72 4spd cars I have seen have the shifter and knob configuration you describe. The threads on the end of the 71 handle and respective "T- handle" shifter knob are different than on the 72 4 speeds.

Just a sidenote: Hurst did sell aftermarket T-handle knobs with the 72 Ford 4speed handle's thread configuration.

My assumption would be the 72 HO trans went bad and the owner swapped it out for one out of a 71 car - shifter and all.

Ray

i have been looking on the internet try to get other pics of this. the car has a black round ball in the glove box.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense...swap the entire trans.

I think the aftermarket T handles that Hurst sold did not have the shift pattern embossed on them like the factory handles did.

Makes sense...swap the entire trans.

I think the aftermarket T handles that Hurst sold did not have the shift pattern embossed on them like the factory handles did.
From one of mine (and Roy's - Tnfastbk's) previous posts:

For 4 spd toploaders - correct shifter balls and T-handles

1972 and 1973 3/8" -24 (fine threads) Black ball with engraved white 4-spd pattern

1971 3/8" -16 (course threads) Hurst T-Handle with small setscrew

The 1971 t-handle is $24 from Jegg's or Summit racing. part # 1535000. I hear they are very close to the original in appearance but the "4" is not good enough for the concourse guys.

Ray

Ray

Picking the car up and last is the car all washed

Zee some more

Last one

Cleaned

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That car is far, far nicer looking than I originally thought. Nice score!

Wow - nice score

Let me know if you need the roof section

Don

a 72' HO was right in my area and i never heard about it. you did well! let us know how the floors are.

I was thinking about calling and asking him if he remembered working on the car. He rebuilt te engine and clutch and trans.
he doesnt have the machining equip to do an engine bore/hone rebuild. must have contracted everything out. The trans was probably done by Fisher Bros up the road from his place. They did my FMX.

Washed

Wadded 2

Wasdeddd

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cool thanks everyone. thursday night will be working on getting it to run right.

waiting to hear if he bought the car. BTW, anyone know if there were any HO verts made? i read the HO option was available in any body in 72. nice to see rare stuff still available. Havent heard of those 2 Firestone white coupes in years.
I would love to have one of the Firestone coupes they were sleepers. I wonder what happened to them. I remember an article about it in Mustang monthly but I can't find it online anywhere.

Congratulations on the car! Dad has a 72 R Code that I haven't even seen in person yet it is in my Brother's Garage in PA.

Pic of R Code shifter best I have sorry I had one of the the shifter itself but can't find it.

idrhvn.jpg

Cool thanks for the pic. We got the car running. Car need a fuel pump. Now the driver side brake

Latest posts

Back