Early 72 Factory Ram Air installed on Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EPA said no Ram Air on 4 BBl 351 CJ, I know Ford got caught sneaking cars on the assembly line without approval in the early runs and shipped. I know cars were held at the Factory due to EPA rules and fines imposed. some say Ford never held back any cars due to EPA rules. Attached picture shows the EPA are Heart Attack Serious. The poor 1976 Capri owners who got 1974 Capri's.
While that may be true, the pic is probably not proof. Those cars look like a standard storage lot in the UK or Germany at that time. I say this because there is a mix of UK or German market Fords in there that were never sold here. I can't see them 'holding' US market cars that way.

Not that this is worth anything, but I had 2 April 72 Mach 1's. At the same time as well! One was a Q code, the other an H code. Neither had ram air. The Q code unfortunately did not have the original block and when I got it. It did not even have an air cleaner, so I made one at work with dual snorkels. There was no evidence of ram air ever been on it and it did not have hood twist locks as well.
I notice the pic you show, that car does not have twist locks. I thought that with Ram Air came hood locks as well. The need for hood locks was to hold the ram air air cleaner lid down on the seal.

EDIT: Just for sh*ts and giggles, here's the pic of the air cleaner I made for the Q code car.

Attachments

• 065_065_01.JPG
    065_065_01.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The picture came to me from Official EPA records
Could have been used for 'illustrative purposes". Or I could be wrong, just seems a bad way to hold cars, logistically.

Back