72 Mach1 H.O.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakebite8, I apologize for hijacking the thread. It's imporant that these cars not get misrepresented by rebodying. I'd pull a fender when I get home just to be sure you got what you paid for. Sure that you and your dad are going to have a great time restoring it. Great find.

The DMV only assigns a new VIN if the car does not have a current legitimate title or vin...such asbuilding a car froma junk yard hulk or such.

I have been involved in restoring cars for 30+ years, and I have seen multie examples of DMV-approved examples of an original vin and title legally switchex to another body.

But, belive what you want to, its not mycar.
You sir, are mistaken! Ask me how I know.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-vin-number-question?page=2

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been getting a lot of mail about this thread due to Kit Sullivan's advice in regards to Vins.

In regards to Re-vinning a car without getting the state involved. if you are caught you will go to jail it is highly illegal.

Some states will take all evidence into account and either issue a new VIN # which serious hits the cars value or they will re-license the original VIN with a new title. It comes down to the state, all 50 are different. now what is legal in one state can be illegal in another.

So you buy a car know nothing about it your state inspector flags the car during inspection because he spots something with the vin or paperwork and it can get to the point where the car is seized and crushed, if the legality of the car cannot be traced all the way back to its birth. again all states are different and some Do not care even if its illegal.

In NY state about 3 or 4 years ago a car restorer was arrested and thrown in federal prison having been found guilty of re-vining cars.

basically there was a rare chevy if i remember and some rich guy paid like 90K for it back in the late 90s. he goes to sell it and the buyer wanted to make sure the car was 100% legit before forking over 120k for it. a concourse judge was brought in and he called the car almost perfect wanted to check something and came back a second time. during that time it was discovered that the rear sheet metal part numbers did not jive with the build date. that threw up a red flag and they started to tear the car apart to get more answers they discovered weld work and the rivets for the vin plate was in question. long story short the car was a re vin. the original car was too far gone. so they took a donor like discussed in this thread then they took the special sheet metal off the original and welded on to the new car, well guess what that is illegal. so then the owner sued the builder, it was discovered he was re-vining cars for years and woo boy many people were not happy.

Basically with the age of cars like ours; Revining was the fastest way to steal a car and make it legal for somebody else to own. It is car identity theft. because of it the feds cracked down hard and there big jail sentences.

doing anything on the VIN is bad news.

now this is a monster Grey area because there are many cars that are so far gone they must have new vins attached to the chassis due to sheet metal replacement or accident damage. many states go by the dash pad vin only. so they don't care.

some states like Arizona will inspect a car so carefully that you will sweat. Arizona is a border state so it is very common for stolen cars to go to mexico. so they take Vins and chassis vins very seriously they will pull fenders and fully inspect a car and if they find anything get a lawyer.

I lived in AZ and the state inspections when you brought in an out of state car before 1995 were insane because they dealt with mexico car theft and title washing.

by comparison on the surface NY state doesn't care because they only go by the paper work unless a owner raises a red flag then all hell breaks loose.

Now i've seen both sides of this, i had to deal with this issue myself.

Do not take the advice given in this thread in regards to Vin numbers. you can site doing it for 100s of years it is still illegal.

After me and dad bought the car my uncle my dads brother called and asked If we planned on selling it because he would be interested in it. My uncle owns a body shop and he let's me work on my stuff all the time since my first car 17 years ago. He also let's my dad (his brother) work on his stuff 2. So if my uncle wishes to have the car to keep it and restore then me and my dad might have to hand it over.

When it comes to restorations and replacing any parts that identify a car (such as the shock towers and dash tag, in the case with our cars), ALWAYS check with your local DMV for the proper way (if there is one) to do it. This is one of those times where it's always better to ask for permission than forgiveness.

Documentation is key.

To add to that my shock towers r damaged in my 67 k-code. I bought all new metal but I will cut the stamped metal and weld it up to the new stuff. I looked into restamping but this just seems easier. I will take plenty of pics to show it.

Also he gave me a copy of the dealer invoice. Nice to see what the car came with. Options r . Body side stripes, naw tires with white letters, rear deck spoiler, rim blow-deluxe strg wheel, am fm radio, console, math 1 sport interior, magnum 500, and HO option. Total was 4,496.69

I'm glad I live in the south, it seems most states down here could care less about Vin numbers matching. No one has ever inspected my car for anything. My car is legal but still, all that seems like a hassle.

so 72 R code verts.. that's much more rare than a 71 Boss 351 ! and today more drivable as well. There are some cars that will go up in value very soon. When i bought my Hcode car for $10k it was average price...prob worth 50-70% more today. not bad for a hobby! Of course i put some TLC and HP into it.
Marti book says

72 R codes

19 HT

366 FB

13 convertibles

Yes, correct. 13 convertible R codes. I don't know where 49 came from in my memory banks. But I do know where 2 of the 13 are...right here in Alabama. ;)

Thanks for back checking me Don.

The DMV only assigns a new VIN if the car does not have a current legitimate title or vin...such asbuilding a car froma junk yard hulk or such.

I have been involved in restoring cars for 30+ years, and I have seen multie examples of DMV-approved examples of an original vin and title legally switchex to another body.

But, belive what you want to, its not mycar.
Kit, I don't have a dog in ths fight but my mailbox has a few people asking for you to stop presenting what you are saying as fact. Please don't see this as me coming down hard on you. I appreciate your posts and contributions on here. Your experiences may be all valid with the proper DMV authorities giving their blessing in advance and during the rebuild and if so then I'm good. I'm afraid though that someone may take what your saying as gospel and rebody a car with a certain desireable VIN and not have the DMV blessing because they read somewhere (here) on the Internet that this is ok so they press on. This may be black and white for some and grey for others. Given this hot topic nature please only offer advice that says to get the state DMV involved before doing any work involving VINs and 2 cars.

We bought the car. Everything seemed to work out. Got the car for more than I was hoping to get it for but it's ok. The floors and frame r very nice and over all I hope to get the car running very soon. New gas lines and brake line r first.
Congrats! Awesome news! Give it a bath and post some pics of this monster of a car.

We bought the car. Everything seemed to work out. Got the car for more than I was hoping to get it for but it's ok. The floors and frame r very nice and over all I hope to get the car running very soon. New gas lines and brake line r first.
Congrats! Awesome news! Give it a bath and post some pics of this monster of a car.
+1 on the bath and more pics

Thank u everyone! Also does anyone know or used Garden State Mustang in Fairveiw NJ? The guy gave me a recites. They rebuilt the engine and clutch.

I had joe do some minor work on my car. Nice enough guy but i wasnt completely happy with the prices he charges for the work he did. He is certainly knowledgable

I was thinking about calling and asking him if he remembered working on the car. He rebuilt te engine and clutch and trans.

you should definitely call him. He may give you some insight as to what the condition of the components were before he worked on them, and what he did to them. Could never hurt having more info about your new car!

Latest posts

Back