73 8-Track / AM Radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351c 2v
Edelbrock 4bbl, Performer Intake
Ram-Air
Pertronix Electronic Ignition
Ok since I have owned the vehicle I havent managed to get the 8 Track working. So I am now piddling with it. I still need to find a working 8 track to verify the operation of my tapes but so far there is no sound out of the 8 Track. The radio works nicely though. Thoughts, comments, tips, suggestions? Currently I am in Norfolk, VA for training but Ill be back up in Annapolis at the end of the month for anyone who has a solution.

Thanks,

Kyle

As I recall, head position on an 8-track is critical as is ensuring the pinch rollers hold the tape firm against the head. Another big issue is a dirty head. A long cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol usually does the trick. If there is still no sound then the head itself may be bad and there aren't too many places out there to get one cost effectively. At that point it may actually be best to find a new player on ebay or some other source.

You can check with a used Mustang parts supplier like Mustang Corral.

Mac

Ok since I have owned the vehicle I havent managed to get the 8 Track working. So I am now piddling with it. I still need to find a working 8 track to verify the operation of my tapes but so far there is no sound out of the 8 Track. The radio works nicely though. Thoughts, comments, tips, suggestions? Currently I am in Norfolk, VA for training but Ill be back up in Annapolis at the end of the month for anyone who has a solution.

Thanks,

Kyle
One source is www.classiccarradiorepair.net. Seems experienced and well equipped, no personal experience. Chuck

Back