AFD 4V vs SP4V Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I'm looking for details on the 4V heads along with what differences exist between them and the SP4V version. From what I've found, thus far, they have raised intake ports. It seems the heads may extend farther inward than an OEM 4v head, raising the overall height of the intake by some amount.

The AFD website gives a "maintenance" page, so no info there, so if you guy have any brochures or spec sheets, I'd appreciate a copy or a link to where they can be found.

@Tnfastbk Thanks, I have searched and found both of those, but appreciate you thinking of me. From a well known aussie builder, the SP4V has the "3V" exhaust port and from discussions on the old network54 cleveland forum, there's a claim that the SP's deliver 40 additional HP but seems that's some sort of an estimate and no details on what engine (displacement and bore) it applies to. I left messages at the afd facebook page with no response. I have yet to email them....good reminder to do that. I used the wayback site and was able to find more info on the SP version, but nothing was archived prior to the SP4V's.

I may start another thread on this, but I'd like to get quotes on CNC porting these....haven't really begun looking but want to find a shop local to phoenix area to do it.

You may want to look into the CHI 4Vs. I am in that process right now. I just talked to Mark from CHI in Australia. He is very nice and knowledgeable. You can start the communication with him via email and then you can arrange for him to call you. The CHI 4Vs are meant to work with standard 4V intake, and either 2V or 4V exhaust at the standard location. They flow a little less than their 3Vs but they are a great option to not getting a dedicated 3V intake.
https://www.chiheads.com.au/shop/heads/4v-ford-cleveland/

@Tnfastbk are those the SP4V's in your pics (looks like it from zooming in)? Do you know which intakes, besides the parker funnelweb, bolt right up and match ports?

From what I have been able to find, the both SP4V and 4V have same intake port, or nearly so, and use the same intakes. I haven't confirmed this, but seems to be the case.

I did a search and very quick scan of your content and saw you did something similar to Turtle, and filled the ports on an intake? I bought the 4V's that were posted on the cleveland forum a couple weeks ago. I went against my norm, which is to first do extensive research before making such a large purchase, but needed to make a quick decision on buying. In any case, I have them and now want to understand what it will take to use them or if I just want to flip them for my money back.

@tony-muscle I already bought a set of the AFD's, but I'm not married to them....bought them thinking I was getting a good enough deal that I could sell them and break even, if nothing else. My research has indicated that the CHI's may be a simpler alternative. Do you know if they also raise the intake and have a 1/2"+ gap at the china wall?

@Tnfastbk are those the SP4V's in your pics (looks like it from zooming in)? Do you know which intakes, besides the parker funnelweb, bolt right up and match ports?

From what I have been able to find, the both SP4V and 4V have same intake port, or nearly so, and use the same intakes. I haven't confirmed this, but seems to be the case.

I did a search and very quick scan of your content and saw you did something similar to Turtle, and filled the ports on an intake? I bought the 4V's that were posted on the cleveland forum a couple weeks ago. I went against my norm, which is to first do extensive research before making such a large purchase, but needed to make a quick decision on buying. In any case, I have them and now want to understand what it will take to use them or if I just want to flip them for my money back.

@tony-muscle I already bought a set of the AFD's, but I'm not married to them....bought them thinking I was getting a good enough deal that I could sell them and break even, if nothing else. My research has indicated that the CHI's may be a simpler alternative. Do you know if they also raise the intake and have a 1/2"+ gap at the china wall?
As far as I know they match the 4V intake location. They are designed to work with standard 4V intakes.

Back