73 Mach 1 on the cover of Mustang Monthly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
Any one see the February 2015 edition of Mustang Monthly? Does a forum member own this car?? If not, he needs to join. Its a very interesting car with a connection to Jack Roush and a cool Weber carb setup.

Looks like a really sweet ride.

uploadfromtaptalk1421016270103.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421016305741.jpg

I think that upper black stripe looks ridiculous...doesn't even follow the contours of the sheet metal or window opening.

Not for me.

Not a fan of quad exhaust tips on 71-73s and the black stripe could have been better painted to match the contours better. But other than that, a good looking car for sure!

Yeah, I see a car with some cool pieces but that stripe (like many other weird mods I see) just SCREAMS "OOPS".

I sure hope the owner likes it a LOT. I'd bet that stripe is a serious conversation point. Maybe that is the owner's intent.

He'd have to say, "many have said they don't like it but I do". Hmmm.

Ray

Webers are a cool setup and they are not just for looks.

I like the engine bay painted the same color as the body, especially on a white car. That looks really sharp.

No opinion on the stripe. I would have to see more of it but if the owner likes it then it is all good!

I will check it out when I am in the grocery store. I might even buy the mag. I used to have subscriptions to some of the popular Mustang mags but after a few year you got used to seeing the same tech articles over and over again. The internet pretty much replaced my main purpose for mags. I used to have a big reference collection and at one time even had a binder with Xeroxed (yes, I said Xeroxed) copies of the tech articles.

I found my first wiring diagram in a Library!

You new guys don't know how easy you have it!

The exhaust didn't bother me as much as the upper stripe. Other than that I like the car, it's white :) Just kidding, there aren't many of the base colors that I didn't like.

Looks a nice example. I seem to remember seeing cars with those weird stripe decals around car windows around the same time Starsky and Hutch was popular. Used to see them on Ford Capri's and they looked terrible.

On the topic of this month's cover car, I've got a pet peeve. While respect for our 71-73 cars has gotten a little better over the years, I still see that just about every article I read has to make reference to the car's weight and/or size. This month's article is no exception.

Oddly enough, I rarely see the same comments written about, say a '71 Charger, '71 Camaro, or '71 Chevelle.

Might be refreshing to see an article mention how the 71-73s were more 'musclecar' in size than 'pony' and one reason for their increased size was to accommodate big block power!

Oh, and as a point of reference writers, the '71 Mustang was about a whopping 1 inch longer than the redesigned Camaro, and let's not mention how the Boss 351 (with it's "enormous" size) would clean the LT1s clock in the quarter mile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to that MeanMachine! I don't think they can help themselves, they seem to go there almost everytime you see an article about our cars. I think it is very deliberate on the part of the editorial staff of MM. I do subscribe because I like to learn about all Mustangs and its has some good features but the bias seems to be there. I only posted this one because one of our cars made the cover.

Well, let's see:

The Chevelle/ Malibu was always a mid-size car, so it never really "grew" out its original design much ( until the '73 "Collonade" body, and then many writers made mention of its growth).

The Charger was always a big car, never changed its size much.

The Camaro came out in 67' and was ever so slightly larger than a 67/68 Mustang upon its "birth", and the 2nd-gen version was only a tiny bit bigger by comparison...so they never talk negatively about that.

The Mustang...every year, every model and every iteration is now and will forever be directly compared to the legendary original 65/65 edition.

It might seem unfair, but that first Mustang casts a LONG shadow...even FIFTY YEARS later!

So, compared to other contemporary sporty/ muscle cars of the same era, our 71-73s are right at home, very comparable.

But for our Mustangs, and any other version of the Mustang the comparison will only ever be to the original Mustang.

There is absolutely no arguing that a 71-73 Mustang is just a much nicer riding, handling and quality car than a 65/66. The original Mustangs were cheaply made, handled poorly, rode terrible and were noisy. No one cares...they love 'em!

The problem with the 71-73 Mustangs is that they were awesome performers in all the categories that no one cared about anymore in 1971.

Horespower, race track handling and thumping big blocks were OUT by 71, yet the car companies were caught off gaurd with the wrong products.

I remember ordering my 71 429 Mach in late 1970: We had to pay full price UP FRONT just to get the dealer to ORDER the car. He was absolutely positive he would never have been able to sell the car if we ended up not buying it.

Performance cars were badly out of step by '71...most magazine writers lamented the Mustangs growth only in comparison to what people wanted then, in '71.

The Mustang II takes a LOT of shit in every article written about them, for being based on the lowly Pinto. But the truth is...that is what people wanted then: small and economical. The "II" was a very succesful car for Ford.. outsold the 71-73 by a huge margin.

The Pinto, Maverick and Mustang II all sold better than 69-73 Mustangs.

So...is it fair to call the Pinto, Maverick and "II" crap compared to our 71-73s?

They certainly are not nicer or better built or better performers...but they just sold better than the Mustang of the day.

That is why I stick with 'em..."root for the underdog" and all that stuff.

Last edited:
A couple of things I noticed which are pinned squarely on the editor:

• The stripe is actually not so bad-looking... from the side or 3/4-front view. It follows the shape of the windows & quarter windows nicely and really does accentuate the surrounding area body lines. The big heartburn is that first picture (3/4-rear) shows the stripe all distorted and not looking very professional, because the body in those areas is molded to be more forward facing and widening slightly to enclose the rear wheelhouses, which are larger to support the larger muscle car wheels and stance. This was probably the wrong picture to run on the cover. Strike One.
  • Rob Kinnan, the new editor, seems to have issue with the '71-'73s being "big and heavy." He used those words (as well as others, like "midsize") to describe our cars in the article [he authored] about the Mustang II also in that latest issue of the magazine. I don't appreciate that. I applaud his efforts to focus Mustang Monthly's content on the classics (Mustang IIs and earlier), but if it's going to be at the expense of our niche while pandering to the "Vintage" Mustangers, no thanks. Another swing-and-a-miss.

I'm not trying to be overly sensitive about it, but his first two efforts in mentioning the '71-'73s have so far been in the form of a mediocre article with poorly chosen pictures, and the use of some blatant back-handed, non-complimentary terms in a completely unrelated article about a later-generation car. I'm not impressed so far.

Bottom line: I miss Donald Farr. We may not have received as much love over the years (in the way of minimal coverage), but at least we never got anything resembling 'hate,' either.

Well, let's see:

The Chevelle/ Malibu was always a mid-size car, so it never really "grew" out its original design much ( until the '73 "Collonade" body, and then many writers made mention of its growth).

The Charger was always a big car, never changed its size much.

The Camaro came out in 67' and was ever so slightly larger than a 67/68 Mustang upon its "birth", and the 2nd-gen version was only a tiny bit bigger by comparison...so they never talk negatively about that.

The Mustang...every year, every model and every iteration is now and will forever be directly compared to the legendary original 65/65 edition.

It might seem unfair, but that first Mustang casts a LONG shadow...even FIFTY YEARS later!

So, compared to other contemporary sporty/ muscle cars of the same era, our 71-73s are right at home, very comparable.

But for our Mustangs, and any other version of the Mustang the comparison will only ever be to the original Mustang.
Realistically, 150-200lbs, 5-inches overall length, 2.5" more width, and 3" less height does not bump a car (back then) into a completely different category (pony car to mid-size). I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you park a '69-'70 fastback next to a '71-'73 fastback, the '69-'70 actually looks bigger and thicker, depending on the angle. It's certainly taller, and the nose & tail areas look absolutely massive in comparison.

Then there's the '69-'70 Shelby styling that translated to the grille, front fenders, and hood area - why is that so looked down upon? I would think that would be something of an honor and well-received, if nothing else.

But you're right, Kit - the originals are the benchmark, with the "all is forgiven" goggles firmly in-place. Nothing really stands a chance against it in the eyes of the Vintage Mustangers.

The massive success of the very first edition has actually has hampered the normal and natural development of the "Mustang" as a product. Conseqhently, every model since then has been handcuffed with the edict to pay respectful homage to the first, original edition...even when that has severely limited some design improvements and originality.

The Corvette, for example has no such "albatross around its neck" to contend with. The first 'Vette was a mostly-handmade windowless, 6-cylinder slug that got little praise...and lots of insults from the motoring press.

It was not very succesful, but it sold well enough to convince GM that it should continue. It did, obviously...but not hampered by its original details.

Many "legendary" things suffer the same fate:

KISS: The original band was four kids, mediocre musicians at best. Gene and Paul had drive and self-discipline, Ace and Peter were raging alcoholics and drug-abusers. Ace and Peter were barely capable of doing thier "jobs" within the band, but...they were part of the "original formula" and that is what every iteration of the band has had to live up to.

Star Trek: the original was cheaply made, and no one involved cared when it went off the air. Every version since then has tried ( and failed) to capture whatever it was that made it work like it did.

James Bond: come on, Sean Connery? Who could ever live up to that? I would bet that fat, old and bald Connery of TODAY could still make a great Bond movie!

Our 71-73 Mustangs are not competing against other Mustangs on a "level playing field", as it should be.

We compete against "legends", which can never be beaten.

WOW....Mustang Monthly discovered there are other cars in the line up rather than what has become generic new cars that I can see at ANY Ford dealership except one Kinsel Ford Jourdanton Texas. where they only sell trucks. LOL I saw one "used" Mustang...only car on the lot. I lost respect for MM years ago.

-The Mustang...every year, every model and every iteration is now and will forever be directly compared to the legendary original 65/65 edition.

-We compete against "legends", which can never be beaten.
While I believe you make a bit of a point Kit, (that Mustangs will forever be compared to the original, little pony), I still have to wonder how many magazine articles about the new Mustang GT will make redundant reference to their 188.3" length and 3700+lb curb weight in comparison to the original pony car....something tells me not nearly as many as our cars have. So maybe what we're seeing is a bit of selective criticism.

-The Mustang...every year, every model and every iteration is now and will forever be directly compared to the legendary original 65/65 edition.

-We compete against "legends", which can never be beaten.
While I believe you make a bit of a point Kit, (that Mustangs will forever be compared to the original, little pony), I still have to wonder how many magazine articles about the new Mustang GT will make redundant reference to their 188.3" length and 3700+lb curb weight in comparison to the original pony car....something tells me not nearly as much as our cars have. So maybe what we're seeing is a bit of selective criticism.
"Selective criticism" is a real nice way of pointing out a bias against the 123 cars. Well said MeanMachine.

It seems that somewhere around the mid-to-late 80's most auto journalists started to all spout the same excuse for cars becoming heavier based on added emissions and safety equipment. While that is certainly true...it demonstrates that it is not neccesarily a performance killer.

Who cares that the 71-73s were just a little heavier than 65/66s? Of course they were! They were bigger, better and more well-equipped!

Back