'73 Motor Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find! I didn't realize the Convertible's were different.
Same here! So now the question is, what's different about the 73 convertible mounts?
From what I could discern...it appears that the frame portion is the same, but the "motor" mount is a different height...taller I believe, but no idea how much...

Good find! I didn't realize the Convertible's were different.
Especially yours and Damian's. Lol
A 6 cylinder joke! :)

I wonder if the 6 cylinder convertible mounts are different than the 6 cylinder hardtop/sportsroof mounts.

Ok, what is the difference between the 73 mounts and 71-72??? I currently have a 73 and changed the engine back in late Aug. and it looked like any other small block motor mount.

Ok, what is the difference between the 73 mounts and 71-72??? I currently have a 73 and changed the engine back in late Aug. and it looked like any other small block motor mount.
I've seen conflicting stories...I know that there is some design change, but don't know about dimensions. Some say that 71-72 are interchangeable...others say you have to change the frame mounts also...

This is part of the story I'll try to find the rest. /www.cougarpartscatalog.com/d1rag-framebrkt-pair.html

Here is another piece. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_4.htm

The third piece from Rickmaan at VMF. "As I said, the '73 used a different engine mount from all previous years. I researched this a bit when I was planning my engine build because I wanted fresh mounts for the new performance motor I'd be putting in my '73 but all the parts suppliers I checked with only showed mounts fitting up to '72 so I needed to find out why the application ended at '72 and didn't include the '73 models. '73 had a few gov't mandated saftey changes, including bumper impact requirements and captive motor mounts. 'verts used a taller mount than hardtops, and that is consistent with the newer captured style mount used in '73. So the mount has to be correct for the body style, but along with that it also has to match the frame bracket intended to go with it. So a '73 mount should be used with a '73 frame bracket, and a '72-earlier mount should be used with '72-earlier frame brackets. Since the mount changed for '73, comparing measurements between a '72 and '73 is comparing apples to oranges."

Chuck

Back