73 Motor Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73QCodeMach1F

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code 351CJ, 4 speed manual, bright red.
2004 Mustang GT Convertible (Mach 1 Tribute)
This seems to be a popular topic here, I looked through some of the old forums and still a little confused as to the changes from the 71-72 mounts to the 73 mounts. Many of the replacements I’m looking at, they look close but the majority claim to fit 68-73 all. I have a 73 Mach 1 351 Cleveland. Pics of current mounts and pics of Power Torque Mount pn# B2257 carried by oreilly auto parts which claims to fit 73s. If these are a no go, what is my best source to get them? Would prefer not having to change frame mounts if at all possible.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2834.jpeg
    IMG_2834.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Anchor 2257 is the mount most commonly used 68-72, but only on fixed roof cars. Convertibles had a unique mount to deal with vibrations specific to the platform.

73 were a new "captured" style mount that prevented separation of the engine from the chassis. Again, fixed roof and convertibles had different mounts. They are not available in the aftermarket and no other mount fits properly - regardless of what the application guides say.

It appears that you probably have 2257 mounts that were forced into position and are now separating at the brackets. IMO, your best option is to get a set of 71-72 coupe/sportsroof frame brackets and carry on. Finding a good set of 73 mounts will often be an expensive procedure.

Forum member @rackerm created a nice comparison of the various components.

1694539261779.png

... and the 73 style mount

1694539321880.png

Anchor 2257 is the mount most commonly used 68-72, but only on fixed roof cars. Convertibles had a unique mount to deal with vibrations specific to the platform.

73 were a new "captured" style mount that prevented separation of the engine from the chassis. Again, fixed roof and convertibles had different mounts. They are not available in the aftermarket and no other mount fits properly - regardless of what the application guides say.

It appears that you probably have 2257 mounts that were forced into position and are now separating at the brackets. IMO, your best option is to get a set of 71-72 coupe/sportsroof frame brackets and carry on. Finding a good set of 73 mounts will often be an expensive procedure.

Forum member @rackerm created a nice comparison of the various components.

View attachment 81331

... and the 73 style mount

View attachment 81332
Wow… this just keeps getting better and better. I’d love to know who wedged the wrong style mount in there rather than doing the conversion. It made me wonder if the existing mounts weren’t rated for the added power in this engine setup and cracked for that reason. Clearly not the case. Makes absolute sense now. I hadn’t seen what the original 73 mounts looked like until you posted this. 71-72 mounts it is then. Thanks for your help.

Another question, bolt torque specs? I found the mount to engine bolt torque is 85 ft/lbs, what is the spec for frame bracket to frame bolts?

Thanks a bunch, shop manuals are on my never ending list of things to get.

Yet another question.. is there a reason why the bracket to frame bolts are reversed like this? Or is this something that someone did along the line? I would think they should all go the same way?

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpeg
    IMG_1429.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 0
I want to thoroughly thank the members of this forum who helped me out with this. If not for you guys I’d still be sitting here stumped as to why things didn’t fit. Hope you guys aren’t sick to death of all my questions by now! Lol
Decided on the Prothane mounts, the cheap oreillys mounts were even thinner than what came out of there, so took the trip to NPD (very lucky to have one locally) to buy the Prothane mounts. The drivers side was a nightmare and a half to get in. One corner of the bracket did need to be ground down a small amount to clear my headers (Hooker comps) but it’s in there now. Passenger side was a breeze in comparison. Less than an hour for passenger, a good 8 hours on drivers side including time for trimming the tabs off the 71/72 brackets. I’d cringe to know what a shop would have charged to do this, IF they would even attempt it.
Pics of everything included for future reference for others.

Attachments

• IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1602.jpeg
    IMG_1602.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I want to thoroughly thank the members of this forum who helped me out with this. If not for you guys I’d still be sitting here stumped as to why things didn’t fit. Hope you guys aren’t sick to death of all my questions by now! Lol
Decided on the Prothane mounts, the cheap oreillys mounts were even thinner than what came out of there, so took the trip to NPD (very lucky to have one locally) to buy the Prothane mounts. The drivers side was a nightmare and a half to get in. One corner of the bracket did need to be ground down a small amount to clear my headers (Hooker comps) but it’s in there now. Passenger side was a breeze in comparison. Less than an hour for passenger, a good 8 hours on drivers side including time for trimming the tabs off the 71/72 brackets. I’d cringe to know what a shop would have charged to do this, IF they would even attempt it.
Pics of everything included for future reference for others.
Nice job! I want to try the Prothane mounts on my 70 Mach 351C which uses the same mounts as the 71-72s. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Back