73 Mustang side Strpes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I'm trying to learn more about the options on a 1973 mustangs.

If factory invoice lists the blacked out hood (not functional ram air), side stripes and Front spoiler as options, on a 1973 Convertible.

My question is what did the stripes look like, the 73 Mach 1 style, or the 71-72 style stripes, since is a convertible and not a Mach.

1973 Ford Mustang-10-11.jpg

1973_00087_07.jpg

hope this answers your question

For bodyside tape stripes - they were only available on convertible or hardtops with the decor group. And if stripes were factory for any years - cars did not come with lower bodyside moulding between lower body black or argent. This molding was replaced by a separating pinstripe.

Easiest way to determine if side stripes were original or not - the bright molding is left on car with side stripes = ADDED later...

Ray

Ford knew the end was near for this generation Mustang. Even though there wasn't much left going on under the hood in 73, they made some nice appearance options available. The Décor Group gave you a Mach 1 style grill, black or argent lower body paint with moldings, and trim rings with hub caps. A 71/72 style argent or black side stripe was available only with the Décor Group.

There was a "Tutone" non functional ram air hood option with twist style hood locks in black or argent.

There is no listing in the 73/ Ford Master Parts Catalog for a front spoiler.

Looks like these cars came in like a lion with Boss engines and big blocks and left like a lamb with emissions choked engines. But at least they left town lookin' good!!

you guys answered my question!!

I know a person with a 73 blackout hood and side stripes, I was telling him how the stripes on 73 looked different than the 71-72, and they were only available on the Mach 1, and he indicated that they were original, so that made me want to do some homework.

Thank you very much.

Back