99 mountaineer 5.0 into 72 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72mach12019

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
69 302
Holley 500cfm
C4
Hello new here. I've been lurking for awhile.  Putting a 99 moutaineer motor in my 72 mustang it has the gt40p heads and will be running a c4 for awhile until i find a good deal on a t5. I've come up on a good deal on some mac 1 5/8 long tube headers for a 94 95 gt. Does anyone know if they will clear everything? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm here another question I have is the oil filter. Do i need to relocate it or will it be ok? I do not intend on having a/c

That motor will have accessories in positions that are different. I suspect, putting it in is the only way to be sure of what will and won't work. Keep in mind 302's and 5.0's are very similar, but they are not the same motor internally. There is a different firing order and crankshaft imbalance making flex plates and balancers incompatible. I suspect mostly it will fit just fine.

Thanks for the replies. Well this should be fun. I guess will try my luck on the headers. I'm maybe a month away from the swap give or take.

Btw i pulled this motor from my local junkyard for 60 bucks. Ive got it opened up and everything looks good. So far so good . Except for the 4 broken bolts. I have 3 removed so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to run it as fuel injected, or carburetored?

If fuel injected what are you going to use for an ECU? I believe the stock computer expects feedback from the transmission, which you won't get with the C4. I believe there are workarounds, including an aftermarket computer.

The Explorer/Moutaineer GT-40P headed 5.0 is a very popular swap with the early Mustang crowd. I seriously doubt you would have any issues fitting the engine as-is into the bay of the 72, other than connecting the accessories to the car. Headers can be a challenge due to the revised spark plug angle. Here's a thread on the VMF regarding headers.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/classic-mustang-wanted-ads/896817-headers-fit-gt40p-heads-65-mustang.html

FWIW, if the header fits 65-70, it'll normally fit 71-73 without issues.

It will have a carb. Thanks hemikiller. After reading that I believe I am about to order the hedman 88300 . Anyone have any objections?

Well the hedman 88300 don't fit so back to the mac 1 5/8 long tubes for a 94 95 gt.

Well the hedman 88300 don't fit so back to the mac 1 5/8 long tubes for a 94 95 gt.
I doubt anything designed for a 94-95 will fit the 71-73. 

See thread below, Huskinhano and 2nd66 are both running GT40P engines in their cars. 

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/631679-what-header-choices-gt40p-swap-into-67-a.html

I believe these are the headers they used.

https://www.shop.macperformance.com/MAC-Ford-Mustang-260-289-302-64-70-Raw-Long-Tube-Headers-TF7466.htm

Thanks again hemikiller really helping me out. I will go with the tf7466. Has anyone bought from online-racer.com?

I hit add to cart and it takes me straight to paypal. Kinda sketchy.

I hit add to cart and it takes me straight to paypal. Kinda sketchy.
Lots of places are like that. For me, if it's semi-sketchy, I'll use the Paypal Credit option to pay. If the stuff doesn't show up, no skin off your back and Paypal will take care of it. I've had a handful of issues since I started using them in '98 and Paypal has always taken care of me.

I ended up ordering from stang-aholics. Still waiting to recieve the headers. In the mean time anyone have any suggestions on a carb. I have a 5.0, backyard port and polish, gt40p heads, tfs1 cam. Planing on picking up a dual plan elderbrock air gap intake. long tube mac headers im still waiting on. Had a x pipe installed today.

Back