A few questions on my restore?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Hello All, Have a few question to ask:

1. The Mach 1 Im restoring came with a Built C6 with a reverse manual valve body. It now has an Art Carr's Winters Pro Shifter in it that I really dont like. Its Fugly, its a pain to use for the street and the plastic casing on it is broke and needs to be replaced and its 85 bucks!!!! Sooo I decided to buy a new shifter. I looked at the TCI's,Hurst, B&M's... And decided to get the B&M ProRatchet Shifter. Its looks nice and looks to be more user friendly for the street and strip. So I Ordered it from JEGS they actually had it on sale shipped for $205. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/80842/10002/-1

2. I would like to put a 4 point Roll Bar in the car while I am restoring it. It will see alot of time at the Local Drag Strip http://mirdrag.com/ so want the extra protection. So who makes a quality Roll Bar I can buy?

3. I also want to add Sub-Frame Connectors to stiffen up the body some. So same question who makes a quality set?

I'm sure there will be a lot more question as I proceed and I appreciate any help you guy can give me with it! John

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't tell you much about anything else, but Global West makes a damn fine set of subframe connectors. They're weld-on units, but they fit perfectly without having to carve out any notches or anything from the floor pans.

Hope that helps.

Can't tell you much about anything else, but Global West makes a damn fine set of subframe connectors. They're weld-on units, but they fit perfectly without having to carve out any notches or anything from the floor pans.

Hope that helps.
Thanks I'll check em out!

1. We had a 67 Camaro with the pro rachet and it work perfectly for 2 years and we sold the car, It is still running it and has not had any problems. The only thing I didn't care for was reaching down for the lockout when on the street, but it was bareable.

2. I'm still looking at cages also, but haven't seen any specifec makes for our cars. Jegs has several options for ford, but I haven't checked the main hoop width so can't help much.

3. If your handy you can make your frame connectors for alot less as I did and I believe obisidian has a post on here showing his that he made.

1. We had a 67 Camaro with the pro rachet and it work perfectly for 2 years and we sold the car, It is still running it and has not had any problems. The only thing I didn't care for was reaching down for the lockout when on the street, but it was bareable.

2. I'm still looking at cages also, but haven't seen any specifec makes for our cars. Jegs has several options for ford, but I haven't checked the main hoop width so can't help much.

3. If your handy you can make your frame connectors for alot less as I did and I believe obisidian has a post on here showing his that he made.
I looked at the B&M Megashifter but read some bad reviews on it being sloppy and hard to pull up the lever! The Proratchet gets good reviews and the reverse lockout will be a small hassle but one I deal with.

I've looked all over for a roll bar kit and have only come up with universal kits. I do have the tools to build my own or adapt a U kit to fit, was just trying to save myself a little time! I used to race street stock dirt track cars with a friend and we built our our own cars. So making a universal rollbar kit or building my own is doable but like I said I was just looking to save some time! I got sooooo much to do on my new project!!!!

Thanks for your review on the shifter!

Back