A little more information and pictures

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveK

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351C engine, FMX automatic transmission, ram air, blue exterior with argent stripes, black interior. Restoration project with my son.
[attachment=6649][attachment=6650][attachment=6651][attachment=6652][attachment=6653][attachment=6654][attachment=6655][attachment=6656][attachment=6657][attachment=6658][attachment=6659][attachment=6660]

I had a great response from all my fellow Mustang owners and most of you guys wanted to know a little bit more about the car and see a few more pictures.

My boy and I purched the car in 2009 from a local Mustang club member. The car had not been driven for the last twenty years and was in pretty tough shape. It originated in California and had been abused by time, mice, weather and a front end collison. The motor was locked up, the tranny toast and the rear end needed lots of work.

I was going to make the car completely original to show but the cost and the fact that this Mach was just a plain Jane made me modify my plans. The boy and I decided to give it power and looks and make it something fun to drive and start making some memories!

We had the engine completely modified with steel crank, 10:1 pistons, edelbrock aluminum heads, roller rockers, cam, intake and 750 CFM Holley. The motor was dyno'd and is making 385 horse and 396 foot pound of torque. I rebuilt the FMX tranny and added a shift kit to keep the shits quick. My plan is to add a 4 speed manual once this tranny dies. The car came with a standard rear end that was toast. We put a new ring and pinion set in, new bearings and positraction so we could burn both tires at the same time. The body work was done in Dubuque, Iowa by a retired family friend who owned his own body shop. The body work took 18 months but was worth it. I rewired the entire car and added the center console, gages and tach. We put in a new dash pad, seats and carpeting and have a few odds and ends yet to complete to convert the interior from standard to deluxe.

The boys and I have been taking it to meets and shows since the summer and hope to find the bumper and a couple of items. This summer looks like more of the same and I will have another teenage boy driver joining us! It has been a lot of fun but it has been pricey. I figure we have almost $40,000 stuck into the car when it is complete but wouldn't change a thing! The car brings back a lot of good memories back when I was a Ford mechanic, single and didn't have a care in the world! Today I am 52 (still a kid), married and with 3 gear head boys who love the car. Enjoy the pictures!

Great story and super car/ Thanks for sharing.

Looks great! Good to see the whole family enjoying the restoration!

Wow! Nice!

Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Very inspiring.

It sounds as if the $40,000.00 was well-spent!

I congratulate you not only for what you have done with your Mach 1 but also with what I believe will prove to be the QUALITY Time you have spent with "the Boys."

THANKS for sharing!

BT

Sounds like a great father/sons project. I'm sure you all will have fond memories of working on the Mach 1 as the years go by. You can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back