Advice Replacing the Distributor.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
Hey guys,

I have a 73 351c 2v, I'm replacing the distributor today and feel comfortable with the entire process exept about this oil pump shaft. I hear it can come up or even off when your removing the old one, fall into the oil pan, and give some headaches.

Does anyone have any advice or diagrams/pictures of what I'm about to get into?

Thanks in advance!

Most of the time there is a roll pin the shaft so it only comes out so far, if someboby removed it could pull out of the pump I have never seen this happen. Just don't use a lot of muscle pulling it out or putting the new one in some times the pump shaft moves around on you, put some oil on the dizzy o ring and you be good to go.::thumb::

I've pulled a few Ford distributors. The ford shaft usually has a retention, though I recall it as being a spring steel sort of washer. I've never had one pull out. If it is original and hasn't previously been messed with it will likely be no problem, other than the fact that old distributors like to seize in the block. Kroil or something similar a day or two before can help with this.

I've pulled a few Ford distributors. The ford shaft usually has a retention, though I recall it as being a spring steel sort of washer. I've never had one pull out. If it is original and hasn't previously been messed with it will likely be no problem, other than the fact that old distributors like to seize in the block. Kroil or something similar a day or two before can help with this.
+1 on the washer.

The only time it is an issue is when it isn't there.

Not much you can do to not make that happen. Wasn't one of ford better ideas. Happen once to me, and the only thing I could do was crack a beer open and think about plan 2

Back