After market AC question 72 Mach 1 R Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
little bit of a struggle with routing the new AC lines. The preformed tube adapters are bent just the way they are. These are not the valve covers I will use, but the hit these ones. Passing them through the front wall looks like they may rub. What have others done and pictures are very helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Is your a Classic Auto Air?
Not the best pictures but here you can see the lines going a bit over the back of the valve covers. My lines are strapped to the shock tower brace.
I don't have any good pictures here at the office of the lines going to the front condenser. I don't know if you refer to these. When you say they rub, do you mean that they rub as the go through the hole on the radiator frame?

20211111_215511.jpg
20220417_230527.jpg20211111_215540.jpg

Old Air Product. From what I see online they are all pretty much the same. I’ve attach a better front on pic of the AC radiator to show the lines coming through that front radiator support wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Does the AC compressor rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise? That looks like it would allow the lines to run closer to how the factory ran them. In front of the engine, then back along the passenger fender, and its a straight shot through the firewall.

My next guess would be some sort of bulkhead. So instead of passing the lines through the firewall, have yourself a couple fittings at the firewall where the lines can be screwed on, and then inside the car, a shorter set of lines to the AC unit.

Does the AC compressor rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise? That looks like it would allow the lines to run closer to how the factory ran them. In front of the engine, then back along the passenger fender, and its a straight shot through the firewall.

My next guess would be some sort of bulkhead. So instead of passing the lines through the firewall, have yourself a couple fittings at the firewall where the lines can be screwed on, and then inside the car, a shorter set of lines to the AC unit.
The first attempt at turning it down more started leaking fluid. Obviously the fill cap wasn’t on but then started questioning why would they put the fill cap anywhere but near the top. Reached out to the company and it’s designed to be at 12 o’clock or 3 o’clock. I’m doing ram air and don’t won’t any height issues so I went with 3 o’clock

The first attempt at turning it down more started leaking fluid. Obviously the fill cap wasn’t on but then started questioning why would they put the fill cap anywhere but near the top. Reached out to the company and it’s designed to be at 12 o’clock or 3 o’clock. I’m doing ram air and don’t won’t any height issues so I went with 3 o’clock
Did you try fitting it? yours looks like it sits down a lot lower than the factory setup.
1689037620920.png

Did you try fitting it? yours looks like it sits down a lot lower than the factory setup.
View attachment 78897
Not yet. Funny, yours comes across the front. Another said under the front and another showed around the back. It seems like it can be routed any which way. I guess I try to just make it as neat and clean as possible.

Not yet. Funny, yours comes across the front. Another said under the front and another showed around the back. It seems like it can be routed any which way. I guess I try to just make it as neat and clean as possible.
Mine looks about like how it shows in the assembly manual. Granted, its a 73. Maybe it went different in 72.
1689039030670.png

Old Air Product. From what I see online they are all pretty much the same. I’ve attach a better front on pic of the AC radiator to show the lines coming through that front radiator support wall.
I am out of town right now so no pictures. However, my lines are all aluminum tubes at front and then go to rubber once inside the engine bay. That said, when they go through the hole they are aluminum.

Mine is same as Tony-muscle, using Classic Auto Air. I tried straight up passenger side but they didn’t flex into position and blocked oil and trans dipsticks and other things…my Sanden compressor is also mounted sideways with ports at 1 and 4 o’clock pointing to drivers fender…

The original factory air setup had the hoses run in front of the engine. Aftermarket replacement systems have the hoses run behind the engine as they are precut and preset for that. Interesting how you mounted the compressor. To the head and the engine block. I've never seen that before. Always seen compressors mounting to its own separate bracket. It also appears you have a spring loaded tensioner pulley. Did you buy that as it appears or did you fab that from parts? Also, you can rotate the compressor one click to the left so that your hose connections are facing up instead of to the side. I see you can fab your hoses to whatever length you need so no problems there. I used Classic Auto Air compressor with their hoses. The hoses were too short to clock the compressor connections face up and I had to go one click clockwise so that they would fit.....barely! How does your belt line up with the tensioner, compressor and crank pulley?

The original factory air setup had the hoses run in front of the engine. Aftermarket replacement systems have the hoses run behind the engine as they are precut and preset for that. Interesting how you mounted the compressor. To the head and the engine block. I've never seen that before. Always seen compressors mounting to its own separate bracket. It also appears you have a spring loaded tensioner pulley. Did you buy that as it appears or did you fab that from parts? Also, you can rotate the compressor one click to the left so that your hose connections are facing up instead of to the side. I see you can fab your hoses to whatever length you need so no problems there. I used Classic Auto Air compressor with their hoses. The hoses were too short to clock the compressor connections face up and I had to go one click clockwise so that they would fit.....barely! How does your belt line up with the tensioner, compressor and crank pulley?
It looks like it is bolts to a bracket in this pic. I’ll try to find out those other answers

Attachments

• 70266649813__975F7464-BA2A-4832-93AC-B933202C93F4.jpeg
    70266649813__975F7464-BA2A-4832-93AC-B933202C93F4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My setup.

Attachments

• 70266044177__81F584C6-7C52-4F76-93A0-576F00BA49DA.jpeg
    70266044177__81F584C6-7C52-4F76-93A0-576F00BA49DA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0