Air Conditioner Compresser

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
original air if you want an exact match, however if you're not that picky autozone lol

original air if you want an exact match, however if you're not that picky autozone lol
Do you know where I can find a functional original. I was looking at Vintage Air but they don't seem to have one for 71-73's I'll call them on Monday. Since there isn't much original on mine I don't mind going with aftermarket chromed or at least polished as long as I can get it to work.

yeah just took mine to 134a, if your system isn't currently running and sealed, or if you are going to have to open it to replace the compressor you will have to go to 134a

yeah just took mine to 134a, if your system isn't currently running and sealed, or if you are going to have to open it to replace the compressor you will have to go to 134a
I figured that, is there a big difference between stage 1 & stage 2 systems?

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly I don't know, you're getting above my head, I just found the kit with the parts that I either didn't have or were in bad shape and went with it. By the websites images I did stage 2 but that's because I needed a new radiator unit and condenser. And my guy that's helping me get the car finished up actually put it together and filled it. I'm more of a find obscure parts and this is how it mounts or this is what this old doc says it does kind of person :)

honestly I don't know, you're getting above my head, I just found the kit with the parts that I either didn't have or were in bad shape and went with it. By the websites images I did stage 2 but that's because I needed a new radiator unit and condenser. And my guy that's helping me get the car finished up actually put it together and filled it. I'm more of a find obscure parts and this is how it mounts or this is what this old doc says it does kind of person :)
Thanks, I just need it to cool down the drivers seat and be able to recharge it if needed. I drive the car at least weekly and it does get hot here in Calif. I too need to redo the entire system. Mine has not been functioning since I got the car.

the two biggest problems I ran into were making absolutely sure the evaporator has the right angle fittings on it before you buy it and get 2 sets of r134a fill valves, only the larger of the two in each set sits the r12 ports. I say 2 sets because I found sets cheaper on amazon than individuals.

What are one of these worth if working?

I have one sitting in my garage that came out of my 73. I have no idea if it OK. If you pay for shipping I'll send, and if it is functional you can send me more $$.

P9020005.jpg

I used one of the newer refrigerants Duracool out of Canada. I had never done a system before just went to Harbor Freight and got the gauges and vacuum pump. I had the entire system off the car. Pressure checked the evaporator and condenser under water. Cleaned all the hoses using some of my gun cleaning brushes and used steel wool to clean all the connection points that have 0-rings. You can get the new o-rings at any auto supply. On the compressor you never know until you put it into the system if it is good of not. You can check the magnetic clutch on the bench and turn the compressor over by hand. You should clean out all the old lube and replace with the new that Duracool supplies.

It takes much less of this new material than even the R134 and mine has been in there since July last year and still good. I did replace the dryer which I am told is the filter for the older systems.

I also replaced the heater core while I had the heater box out of dash. When I tested the new heater core it was bad and had to get another. Always test new parts I am finding lots of bad new parts, lol.

Some do not like the new material since it is a highly refined propane material. If you have a space saver spare more propane in that cylinder than in the duracool.

David

Back