Almost done and then the rust jumps out at me

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
So as most know I got the bottom of my hood painted and when I flipped it to strip it, I noticed I had a lot of little rust and I could not seem to get some off so I got the rags wet and wrapped the hood and in the morning we will see

You can also see the rust

You can also see some of the pitted areas, but not bad at all

zn1ro1.jpg

k21c6.jpg

34g8sr9.jpg

2d6t9qx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Navel jelly worked for me. Put it on. Wait 20 min, sand it out with 80 with the jelly still on. Repeat again. Then clean it with hot.soapy water. The metal will blue over. Use a light wire wheel on a drill. This will wipe out the rest of the rust and the bluing. You will have pits where the rust was but they will be shiny. Worked great for me. I was really surprised. Make sure its perfectly clean before priming.

yeah I will clean it off in the AM and get it ready for paint..... then I can get it back on and get both fenders and hood squared up. I am trying to figure out which one I should sqaure away first?????

I am trying to figure out which one I should sqaure away first?????
Put both fenders on with only a few bolts..The hinge pillar bolt..the rear top bolt & front top bolt. Measure the width of the hood at the front..add a 1/4" to that measurement.. Set the fenders to that measurement..Just snug them..So they can still move..Put hood on..Close slowly & see where your at..From there it's a juggling game..Once you get the hood down ...you can then move the fenders..hood..to get your lines gaps..Once you get that you then have to check the headlamp buckets..Install those.. the grill.. the bumper..

Latest posts

Back