Another Battery Cable Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I just got a complete set of battery cables.  The positive is a no brainer of course.  The negative cable is a bit more involved.

My engine has a crap ton of oil and dirt all over it, so I cant exactly see where the negative battery cables are going.  I can see the routing of the first section as seen here, the teimnal to the battery, then the wire routes under the starter solenoid and the mid cable ground strap mounts to the body under the solenoid,

20170719_064902.jpg

then it heads off to the block.  It LOOKS like it connects to the front bolt boss just above the front of the oil pan on the bottom of the block just like in my bronco.

In the wiring kit there is also another Ground wire.  I am totally unsure about its routing.  Does it go from the block to the starter body?  Thats my best guess.

But I have no idea how it routes to there or if theres a clamp or something it goes thru.  This section also has a heat shield jacket on it but Im not sure where that should go on the wire.

with mine there is a empty hole just behind the alt. and on the front of passenger head. best to remove the alt to get to. the other wire goes from engine to body. the starter is already grounded to the engine. hit the area with carb cleaner, sand, clean again to bare metal and attach. then paint it . u can use the spot u circled but clean the paint off..

Last edited by a moderator:
bat negative goes to engine block and then to chasis. In the picture you can see the neg battery cable screwed to the front of the engine block and a second cable going out from this same screw and connecting to the chasis in the engine mount base screws.

the starter is connected to the right side of the solenoid and grounded trough the studs that hold it to the engine.

hope this helps.
7dae2a4d7489bd6b9dd5c58a4a581798.jpg
9f3d9e101185e1e3b0ede047971c57ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ok so the alternator will need to come out to access that and get it all cleaned up. That helps alot. Thanks RCH71.

It looks like you did a 3g alt conversion too that's on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so the alternator will need to come out to access that and get it all cleaned up. That helps alot. Thanks RCH71.

It looks like you did a 3g alt conversion too  that's on my list.
You do not have to take the alternator off. It is accessible from the top or bottom without removing. I just did mine last week with alternator, air cond. power steering and front air duct for 73 all in place. Just make sure it is clean. I actually added a couple more grounds to make sure everything was good.

That's the main problem, it's all covered in a 1/2" thick layer of goo. I'm going to have to pull it off to clean it anyway.

yes i did the upgrade!....it looks cleaner and supports my electric fan.

You don't need to take the alternator out, it is accesible from under the car! ..... but if you want to clean around, it is easy to take it out and check all connections. make sure to clean the area to the bare metal before connection to block and chasis to ensure a good grounding.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back