Another New guy to the forum… but not new to 7173’s

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CompOrange87

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351w
Greeting all! Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jay and I love these amazing cars. The car I’m currently restoring is my father’s… he is the original owner and this car has been in the family ever since. This was my first car I drove in high school and it means a lot to me. This was an original 4N (Medium Aqua) car and it will be going back to its original color. It will have brand new everything. 351 with a T-5, power disc brakes, air conditioning (which it’s never had, despite us living in Texas 🥵). Looking forward to sharing the whole journey with you all.IMG_0065.jpegIMG_0109.jpegIMG_0112.jpegIMG_0130.jpegIMG_9799.jpegIMG_9785.jpegIMG_9775.jpeg

Not to get our new member too upset with us, and perhaps I'm wrong, but the decal on the v/cover K620-A would be a 1973 (A = first cycle) 351C "Q" code CJ. As the Windsor was never used in 71-73 Mustangs, I have no reference to engine codes for those motors.

For years I just couldn't wrap my head around the whole "5.0" thing, being the elder statesman that I am, I'm used to calling a 302 , a 302. The "Windsor" thing was another deal. I've seen windsor-style castings with a CF, ( Cleveland foundry ), so some people might get silly about what they've got. When Ford was concurrently producing 351c's,351m's, and 351w's, the 351 w's began to be called "Windsors", apparently, a portion of the general public couldn't tell what engine they had by simply looking at it, but car guys knew all along that the 351w , externally, looks quite different than the canted valve Clevelands.

For years I just couldn't wrap my head around the whole "5.0" thing, being the elder statesman that I am, I'm used to calling a 302 , a 302. The "Windsor" thing was another deal. I've seen windsor-style castings with a CF, ( Cleveland foundry ), so some people might get silly about what they've got. When Ford was concurrently producing 351c's,351m's, and 351w's, the 351 w's began to be called "Windsors", apparently, a portion of the general public couldn't tell what engine they had by simply looking at it, but car guys knew all along that the 351w , externally, looks quite different than the canted valve Clevelands.
Easy to check at the fuel pump screws

Yes indeed, but the 302 was not called a "Windsor" despite the fact it was made in Windsor Ontario. Only the 351 was as far as I know................... which isn't much!!
302W and the Boss 302. Effectively a Cleveland headed 302. But we're talking 1970 now. The old Ford Muscle Parts book even had instructions on putting 4V Cleveland heads on a 302 block to make a home grown "Boss 302". I've seen a highly modified Boss 302 running Hilborn fuel injection make passes at the Rockford strip come back to the pits and the memory tach showing 11,500 RPM max. I've never heard any engine scream like that before or since.

Back