Another Rear End Set Up Question/Advise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trick Flow® PowerPort® 290 Cylinder Heads for Ford 429/460 TFS-53410001 with Comp Cam #34-336-4, Grind #292H

Above are the heads and cam we are using. He said the cam is not obnoxious and is "over-spec'd" when it says "Very Rough Idle"

To answer your questions, I don't plan on racing the car, want I guess what you call a "tire warmer". I plan on driving it mostly locally with some highway cruising. I would say my longest highway cruise would be maybe an hour or so. Mild to moderate idle would be good with good low end power.

Sorry...I missed your links to the scoops.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok those are the heads i thought you woul run . . i am quite familiar with that cam and i would not run it in your app but thats ok. . . also if you drive at 65 mph often i wold reconsider the gears unless your tires are 27 inches tall . . with this more specific info i would really consider 3.50 gears especially if you change the cam . i would also consider a lower stall converter like around 2600 max

Last edited by a moderator:
Determining the right carburetor is a bit of a black art. Using the online calculators is helpful, but not all engines fit within their guidelines.

One helpful rule of thumb is that you need 1.5 CFM per horsepower. If your target is over 500 hp you will need over 750 CFM

If you want a roller cam, now is the time to do it. They are expensive, but the reduced friction and better lobe profiles are worth it.

Great news! I got a NICE Mach 1 hood yesterday so my hood clearance issues arr fixed! We may even make it functional. Still working on the cam and the rear end. I appreciate all the advise and comments. Any further comments are welcome! THANKS!

ok, well if you didn't want to spend the money on a roller, a comp xe284h is a good cam that will get you 500 hp with an rpm intake and at least 9.5 compression . . xe294h is the next step up.

My car came with a 3.25 and was replaced with a 2.75 years before I bought it.

At 70 you are turning around 2200. The car will accelerate smoothly starting in

2nd gear, not sure I need a 1st gear. Car has a wide ratio toploader. The engine

is a mostly stock (some kind of cam) 351 Cleveland D0AE.

I have a 3.50 waiting to be installed that I purchased from Don Witt at Ohio Mustang Supply,

a site vender. Don't look on his site rather PM him. The one I got from Don is Trac-Lok for

a good price and looks brand new.

mike
Contacted Don and met him this morning. Looks like I bought the rest of the rear end! Thanks for the recommendation! It was great meeting Don and seeing his shop.

What is the brake line conversion looking like? I'm asking this for my own interest as well as yours. Do they bolt up correctly or does it require modifying? Just something to think about as well. I've heard brake lines can break on an old untouched rear end and I also want to know if they are a straight conversion if I attempt to upgrade to a 9" as well.

Back