Anyone purchase a vinyl top lately?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I want a dark brown vinyl top for my Grande and it seems like SMS auto fabrics is the only one who lists it.

Anyone have any recent dealings in vinyl tops from SMS or anyone else? Looking for feedback on quality.

I want a dark brown vinyl top for my Grande and it seems like SMS auto fabrics is the only one who lists it.

Anyone have any recent dealings in vinyl tops from SMS or anyone else? Looking for feedback on quality.
Bought from them a few years ago and installed it last summer on my Mach 1 as a 3/4 roof, had enough material for a Grande though and worked out fine. Quality was very good, grain a perfect OEM fit. Glued it with some special vinyl roof glue and a brush

https://mustangmarket.net/Mustang/1... Laundau Tops/1971-1973 Mustang Vinyl Top.htm

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_070702.jpg
    IMG_20210921_070702.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210921_070716.jpg
    IMG_20210921_070716.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210921_070752.jpg
    IMG_20210921_070752.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210905_173622.jpg
    IMG_20210905_173622.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210905_173630.jpg
    IMG_20210905_173630.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210905_173652.jpg
    IMG_20210905_173652.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210905_173736.jpg
    IMG_20210905_173736.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 12
Hey Tim did you ever install the bright trim across the top of the roof? I asked you awhile back about it and I'm wondering if you got to it and how you installed the small mounting clips. Did you screw them down or did you pop rivet them? I'm going to put my SMS vinyl on mine and I was looking for options on how to mount the trim.

Bentworker The quality of the SMS vinyl is very close to the original as far as grain pattern. The backing is what separates it from all the other ones on the market. The SMS vinyl is exactly like the original backing that Ford used. The other vinyl out there uses a thin fiber looking backing that gives a little bit when you glue it down and may seperate from the vinyl in the future as the sun bakes it causing it to bubble.

West Coast Classic Cougar has a video of them installing an SMS vinyl top on a Cougar. If you go to the 15:05 mark the guy explains and shows you the difference between the grain and vinyl backing on the SMS compared to their own vinyl fabric they sell.

Hey Tim did you ever install the bright trim across the top of the roof? I asked you awhile back about it and I'm wondering if you got to it and how you installed the small mounting clips. Did you screw them down or did you pop rivet them? I'm going to put my SMS vinyl on mine and I was looking for options on how to mount the trim.

Bentworker The quality of the SMS vinyl is very close to the original as far as grain pattern. The backing is what separates it from all the other ones on the market. The SMS vinyl is exactly like the original backing that Ford used. The other vinyl out there uses a thin fiber looking backing that gives a little bit when you glue it down and may seperate from the vinyl in the future as the sun bakes it causing it to bubble.

West Coast Classic Cougar has a video of them installing an SMS vinyl top on a Cougar. If you go to the 15:05 mark the guy explains and shows you the difference between the grain and vinyl backing on the SMS compared to their own vinyl fabric they sell.

Rio,
sorry for my late response...
I will glue the trim down with some body or window adhesive. One of the POs did flex them off so no studs there anymore. I was wondering about installing some similar studs but eventually threw this idea away. Some modern spoiler adhesive will be strong enough to keep the trim there.

I installed a 3/4 black vinyl top on my 73 fastback recently. I don't recall the supplier but was happy with the over-all quality of the item. The issue I had arose when the spacing of the two dielectric bonded seams did not match with the two clearance notches on the original roof-top trim. The spacing of the vinyl top seams was wider than the notch spacing in the trim. I checked this alignment before I began the installation. Any stretching would have made the situation worse. I called the manufacturer and spoke with the right people who pulled out their drawings to check the dimensions. Their claim was that the vinyl seam spacing was correct as far as they were concerned and they never had a complaint. That may be due to many more full vinyl tops are installed on coupes than 3/4 vinyl tops are installed on fastbacks, I assume. I told them that their vinyl top seams needed to match the notch spacing on the OEM roof trim molding. They only said they were sorry about the situation. I went ahead and installed the vinyl top with good over-all results even though the seam spacing does not align with the trim notches as Ford Intended.
My conclusion is that the dimensional spacing of the dielectric-bonded seams in (some or all of) the after-market kits that are offered today have changed and that they need to be corrected. I don't know how many manufacturers are fabricating the vinyl tops for the 1971-73 Mustangs. I do not assume they all follow the same seam dimensions but I would check yours before you install it so you are not surprised. Make sure you locate the vinyl seams to match-up with the two trim notch locations !! The trim notches are somewhat wider than the vinyl seams to allow for some slop
I have noted that the 1971-73 Mustang Coupes do not have clearance notches on their roof-top trip so the full vinyl top seams can be any approximate spacing....... I would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has run into this situation.....

I installed a 3/4 black vinyl top on my 73 fastback recently. I don't recall the supplier but was happy with the over-all quality of the item. The issue I had arose when the spacing of the two dielectric bonded seams did not match with the two clearance notches on the original roof-top trim. The spacing of the vinyl top seams was wider than the notch spacing in the trim. I checked this alignment before I began the installation. Any stretching would have made the situation worse. I called the manufacturer and spoke with the right people who pulled out their drawings to check the dimensions. Their claim was that the vinyl seam spacing was correct as far as they were concerned and they never had a complaint. That may be due to many more full vinyl tops are installed on coupes than 3/4 vinyl tops are installed on fastbacks, I assume. I told them that their vinyl top seams needed to match the notch spacing on the OEM roof trim molding. They only said they were sorry about the situation. I went ahead and installed the vinyl top with good over-all results even though the seam spacing does not align with the trim notches as Ford Intended.
My conclusion is that the dimensional spacing of the dielectric-bonded seams in (some or all of) the after-market kits that are offered today have changed and that they need to be corrected. I don't know how many manufacturers are fabricating the vinyl tops for the 1971-73 Mustangs. I do not assume they all follow the same seam dimensions but I would check yours before you install it so you are not surprised. Make sure you locate the vinyl seams to match-up with the two trim notch locations !! The trim notches are somewhat wider than the vinyl seams to allow for some slop
I have noted that the 1971-73 Mustang Coupes do not have clearance notches on their roof-top trip so the full vinyl top seams can be any approximate spacing....... I would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has run into this situation.....
As I installed my 3/4 roof I had only a minimal difference, the notches fit almost perfect, so no real problem there. I bought from Mustang Market. But I can imagine that there are slightly manufacturing tolerances, so it is not always hundred percent perfect. Our cars weren't hundred percent perfect when new either...

As I installed my 3/4 roof I had only a minimal difference, the notches fit almost perfect, so no real problem there. I bought from Mustang Market. But I can imagine that there are slightly manufacturing tolerances, so it is not always hundred percent perfect. Our cars weren't hundred percent perfect when new either...
That is good to hear about your top. After checking, I purchased my vinyl top through NPD here in the states. These tops are advertised as high quality, OE spec with fleece backing and seams with 40 inch spacing. However, My top arrived with about a 38 inch spacing. After speaking with NPD and making the complaint, they gave me their vendor contact information and as I mentioned previously, after speaking with their vendor(on the west coast, I believe) could give me no satisfaction.
For all you vinyl top manufacturers ----- Center-line seam spacing on the vinyl tops for the 1971-73 Mustangs need to be approx 36-37 inches ---- NOT 40 inches.

That is good to hear about your top. After checking, I purchased my vinyl top through NPD here in the states. These tops are advertised as high quality, OE spec with fleece backing and seams with 40 inch spacing. However, My top arrived with about a 38 inch spacing. After speaking with NPD and making the complaint, they gave me their vendor contact information and as I mentioned previously, after speaking with their vendor(on the west coast, I believe) could give me no satisfaction.
For all you vinyl top manufacturers ----- Center-line seam spacing on the vinyl tops for the 1971-73 Mustangs need to be approx 36-37 inches ---- NOT 40 inches.
Rare 1971/72 Vinyl top ------- On the vinyl top subject ----- Here is a picture taken in the early 80's of my brother's 1971/72 Mach 1. It has a suedo 3/4 vinyl top but located on the rearward portion of the roof ! I have never seen this type of vinyl top on a fastback Mustang but perhaps this was a custom vinyl top job. I assume Ford never offered it...... Anyone else seen a vinyl job like this ??

Attachments

• 1971 Mach 1-Gene's.png
    1971 Mach 1-Gene's.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 1971 Mach 1 Vinyl top close-up.JPG
    1971 Mach 1 Vinyl top close-up.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
Never seen that before, but very interesting, thanks!
It was not uncommon in those days to get a custom made vinyl top. On our cars there were several known with uncommon variants. There were also several Sportsroofs which got a vinyl top like the Grande, a full vinyl top.
Regularly you could only order the 3/4 vinyl top from the factory on the Sportsroofs. This was the fashion to look for in the beginning of the seventies. There were several other brands which offered them on their cars, like the 70ies Chargers or Dusters, but on the 70ies Cougars you could get it, too.

Rare 1971/72 Vinyl top ------- On the vinyl top subject ----- Here is a picture taken in the early 80's of my brother's 1971/72 Mach 1. It has a suedo 3/4 vinyl top but located on the rearward portion of the roof ! I have never seen this type of vinyl top on a fastback Mustang but perhaps this was a custom vinyl top job. I assume Ford never offered it...... Anyone else seen a vinyl job like this ??

That's definitely an aftermarket job. One member on a FB 71-73 group has a 73 sportsroof with the moldings and portholes. Looks like it's painted now, so I assume the vinyl was removed long ago.

1647781108336.png

Back