Anyone with Pertronix Igniter 2?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get an accurate reading off the coil positive post, check it with the ignition on but the car not running, and with the negative side grounded.
Interestingly enough I could get my hands on an o-scope but I will settle for a simple ground wire.

The best way is to leave the stock resistance wire alone, leave it going to the + side of the coil unmolested.

I just use the original resistance wire with no bypass and it has worked the last 5 years
So you run a pertronix coil with the resistance wire inline as well? Or a separate wire to the ignition cylinder and the pink one still in place for the tac?

Here is another bit: The resistor inline seems to be specifically to limit the voltage to the tac. My car has the dummy light special. So is it reasonable to guess that the car doesn't even have a resistor inline?

Last edited by a moderator:
The resister wire is not to limit voltage to the tach, but rather to limit the current through the coil and points. The resister wire is ~1.4 ohms, as is the primary side of a stock coil. With a normal charging voltage of ~14v, this setup limits current in the primary circuit to ~5A. Without the resister wire, you would have ~10A. The stock coil will be prone to overheating and the points will not last very long at these current levels. I have even heard of stock coils "exploding" when they were subjected to such abuse. So to make a long story short, your car was built with a resister wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I get a really detailed way of bypassing the resistance wire. When it comes to wiring I am sort of at a loss. My engine is starting to misfire again and I am getting pretty tired of all these problems hahaha. I run a p2 and it was fine but now one cylinder is misfiring. I had that problem before with the p3 in a billet distributor. I put my stock distributor back in with a p2 and it was fine until now.

We installed your basic FlameThrower and Pertronix electronic "points". You will need to deal with the resistance wire, in my case it had already been done. Also used a set of 8mm Taylor wires with Champion 3025 plugs. My stock 351C 4V runs great, never hesitates and starts on a cold day with a flick of the switch. Do it!

Back