AOD and existing Auto linkage question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I did the AOD conversion 20-some years ago, I used the California Pony Cars linkage kit. It works with the original shifter. Back then, there were articles about modifying the shifter's lower lever to move the shifter rod pivot to work with the AOD's linkage throw.

The reason I asked is, on the swap I did last year, I just used the cable shifter that came in the 87 TBird I swapped the drivetrain from. And I have a new project that will likely receive that drivetrain. But, I thought I would use the stock looking interior, and that means, using the stock shifter. So, I’m glad there are options to do that. But, I also like that very nice cable shifter. I just couldn’t get it to look good or work/fit the stock center console. The base is considerable wider.

Regarding your question @basstrix, the swap was very easy. On my stock 351c/FMX drivetrain, I purchased an aftermarket crossmember, and that’s all I had to do (because of the complete drivetrain swap I was doing). I’m no expert on flywheel weights, etc, so I don’t know if that has to change (I don’t think it does), but I was able to use my stock driveshaft, but I did have to change the front U Joint. If you use Google, type AOD swap in the search bar, and add 7173mustangs.com to the same bar, and Google will do a very good job of searching this site. It’s how I search here all the time.

Back