aod mountimg question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Homeless, thought I'd circle back and see if you've had the chance to run the AOD much... any mpg figures you can share?
Good question...how's it going after a few days on the road?

Although it's not in my 73 I did install an AOD behind my 302 in my 69 vert. 1800 rpm at 70mph with 3:55 rear end gears. Averaging 20+ around town, close to 30 on the hwy. for the limited driving I've done in the past 600 miles. But my 69 302 is also fitted with an Acell multiport fuel injection system which adds a whole new aspect to fuel efficiency over a carb.

Now those are very respectable numbers:exclamation: Ran across a guy at a show in Bowling Green, KY who I hope doesn't take offense if he's lurking on here, but anyway I was a little skeptical when he said his 73 vert with fuel injected Cleveland and AOD was getting 20mpg or so.

Those kind of numbers may just help me make my '79 Ford pickup a daily driver!

well....ran in to another snag when i had the old (wrong flywheel in) as you know from my previous posts it spun the pump gear... YAY... and when i had the shop do the repair (underwarrenty) they souposedly fixed it.. well before i cranked it up again for the 1st time i decided to look at it.... now bad news, i found out in the converter they "replaced" was for 3200 stall... way to high and not correct on top of that there was a lot if metal debris in the coverter from what looks like poor craftsmanship so i could get converter taken apart and rebuilt and cleaned or for 150 less i can get the correct converter.. so im wating on the correct converter now...another week down the tubes and not drivin the beast oh well you live and learn oh ya i looked at the pump they "replaced" to yes.. i ordered a new one of them had big wear marks in it like it was used... ugh as you may tell im venting a bit sorry for that

oh ya my converter was going to be a 2200 like i ordered... stupid people waitin about a week before i even get it in... in that time maybe hid headlight kit!, badmach did that guy like the efi kit and do you know off hand what one he used im thinking down the road i later in a few years or build another 351c for that

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, seems to be a sign of the times, I suppose. Glad you caught the bad converter before going to far. Oh well, keep plugging away.

As for the fuel injection, I don't recall the brand. It was a fuel rail setup, individual cylinder injection, for some reason I didn't think it was a Holley or Edelbrock. The car had an excellent Air Ride suspension setup, bags on leaf springs...

Back