Are 3v heads worth it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I'm my quest for low end power, I came across a set of 3V aluminum heads. They are apparently the best of the factory 2v and 4v heads but also made from aluminum. I've just never heard of anyone actually using them.

I have a 351C 4v with a cam (234/230 hydraulic roller) and an Edelbrock single plane intake. I was initially thinking of going with the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake. But with a rebuild in the future, I'm considering heads that promote more low end torque or maybe even a stroker (393/408).

I have been given some great advice from here so far. I woukd like to hear from you and see what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

in my opinion with all the aftermarket heads out there. I say the 3V are not worth it unless you want the car to look stock. You will still make more power and torque with a good set of aftermarket heads than the original.

You are very limited on intake manifold choice with the 3V heads. If hood clearance is an issue 2V or 4V heads offer more options.

http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102
+1 to that. You may want to PM Tnfastbk. He built a stroker and with his aluminum heads ran into all kinds of clearance issues such as can't use a ram air set up because it sits too high.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate it.

What heads are they? Brand? I have AFD SP4V's which are a hi port head and YES there is some issues but they do perform very well. So you have to ask what you intend to do with the car?

Honestly, I didn't realize there were that many options. I've only heard of CHI. I really prefer something "user friendly". Not a ton of modifications. I don't really plan to race the car. I just want a fast daily driver. I "grew up" with Windsors and am missing that "below 2500RPM torque" that I get from my 393w.

I'm my quest for low end power.......

I have a 351C 4v with a cam (234/230 hydraulic roller) and an Edelbrock single plane intake.......
First thing, swap that Torker for a dual plane, any dual plane... Air Gap should be a fine one, IMO.

I would love for someone to take a blind test drive of a well built, well balanced 4V and the best of all worlds 3V, and then tell me which is which.

Kind of like taking the GREEN MAGIC MARKER around the edge of the CD type of test. Remember that? It is supposed to sound better.

Not that the 3V "isn't better", just that if you can't build a 2V or a 4V that you are happy with, something is wrong. Maybe you need someone to give you a ride in a 4V, and then you decide if the "low end" is too slow.

For the money and headache you will save, you can fly out to any number of forum members, and let them show you their low end, their rear end, their front end, their top end. And then they'll give you a ride in their car.

Had to be said...

It makes total sense to me. What I would like to do first is a new Air Gap intake and a new distributer. I'm thinking MSD. I think that should surely help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdwWgSGqvc

would like to get that carb set up some day ;) only 551 hp 4v cleveland..perfict for town driving

I have drove a 4v cleveland for 18 years now..And never had a issue with low end..Always had enough to blow the tires off at any moment i wanted..And more!! Quite a few 350 chevs i got in races with in town i destroyed as a kid with my stock stang....hehe...with a big cam...4v will make more over all power and tq than any other 1970's small bock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like taking the GREEN MAGIC MARKER around the edge of the CD type of test. Remember that? It is supposed to sound better.
Don't forget the rubber edge bands too........:dodgy:

I would love for someone to take a blind test drive of a well built, well balanced 4V and the best of all worlds 3V, and then tell me which is which.

Not that the 3V "isn't better", just that if you can't build a 2V or a 4V that you are happy with, something is wrong. Maybe you need someone to give you a ride in a 4V, and then you decide if the "low end" is too slow.

For the money and headache you will save, you can fly out to any number of forum members, and let them show you their low end, their rear end, their front end, their top end. And then they'll give you a ride in their car.

Had to be said...
You think:huh:

The CHI 3V heads are nice. They 'fix' some of the 'problems' with the 2v and 4v heads but to do so required modifications of where the intake ports are, thus requiring a head specific intake.

What improvement do you get? More flow for one thing and an improved combustion design. The most improvement will be seen at higher RPMS.

I guess my answer is, if you are building an engine and want to get every last bit of power out of it then these might be worth the money if you match it to other parts. The CAM being one of the more important choices.

But it is also possible you could toss these onto an engine and see no noticable improvement.

It's all about what you want and the combo of parts.

For the street you need to ditch that single plane. It's contributing to the loss of low end torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3v head will make TONS of usable power. Look at most of the Engine Masters Challenge engines over the lasteseveral years... 400m engiines with CHI 3v heads. Jon Kaase kinda knows what he is doing. If you are going max effort those heads are kinda hard to beat.

I've actually been talking to the guys a Kaase about their P-51 heads. I thought a 520 BBF would be a nice alternative.

Between the Kaase guys and a 460ford forum I found, I found a nice setup that will make tons of power, that will fit and will bolt up nicely to a TKO or T-56. I think I'll just maximize what I have with that 351c with an Air Gap intake, MSD distributer and I'll finish the suspension an brakes.

Back