ARP Rod torque specs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

york0060

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v, Auto
I recently purchased a 1972 351 C that had been rebuilt about 10 years ago for $400.00. Since I did not know anything about it I am taking apart and replacing all gaskets and checking things out. My question is he used ARP rod studs and I do not know what the torque for them should be, I heard that they require a special torque and special lube for the threads. So far everything look great with it, Keith Black pistons, not sure what the cam is, so I am going to get a new one that will fit my needs. thanks for the help.

50 or 55 ft/lb depending on which one was used. They have a regular and high performance one. You need to use the lube to get an accurate torque. Look at the ARP web site, they have good write ups on this.

York,

The recommended torque specs for ARP's rod bolts are in the ball park for an installer who doesn't have a "stretch-guage". Tightening the rod bolts to a pre-determined stretch is the preferred method, and pre-loads the rod bolts to resist being "shocked", leading to rod bolt failure. I install lots of different ARP rod bolt products and can tell you that they will usually take a tad more torque than the value given to hit the preferred stretch, and that amount varies with bolt material type and length and diameter. Again , I'm just expanding on the subject, but the torque value given by ARP will put you in the ballpark. The ARP Moly Lube is good stuff, and should be put both on the bolt threads, and on the nut or bolt's underside, wherever there's metal to metal contact.

I noticed you said Keith Black pistons. Be aware that a good many of those Keith Black pistons are HYPERUETECTIC in design, and will require larger top ring gaps than the stock cast or forged pistons use, so look into that and check all of the gaps prior to installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back