ATF question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
I Have a 73 vert with a C6 automatic transmission. The transmission pan was leaking so I removed it let the transmission drain and replaced the pan gasket. No leaks now. I drained 4 quarts out so I put 4 quarts of Dexron 3/Mercon ATF back into the transmission. I was told not to use type F by reputable transmission shop because Dexon three is a better fluid. I do not know what fluid was in the transmission as it was professionally rebuilt six years and 3000 miles ago. The fluid that came out was bright red and clean and had a sweeter smell to it. Should I be concerned about mixing different types of fluids? The transmission seems to be functioning normally and shifting well. Thanks for your advice. 

I Have a 73 vert with a C6 automatic transmission. The transmission pan was leaking so I removed it let the transmission drain and replaced the pan gasket. No leaks now. I drained 4 quarts out so I put 4 quarts of Dexron 3/Mercon ATF back into the transmission. I was told not to use type F by reputable transmission shop because Dexon three is a better fluid. I do not know what fluid was in the transmission as it was professionally rebuilt six years and 3000 miles ago. The fluid that came out was bright red and clean and had a sweeter smell to it. Should I be concerned about mixing different types of fluids? The transmission seems to be functioning normally and shifting well. Thanks for your advice. 
Not an expert on this but I don't think better enters into the equation. You are either using the correct fluid for the transmission or you are not. Having said that, not knowing what fluid was originally in the trans I don't think you are risking a whole lot by using the Dexron fluid.

Here is an earlier thread on the subject.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-the-confusing-world-of-transmission-fluid

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumor has it that the B&M Trick Shift "high performance" ATF is nothing more than Type F with blue dye.
That makes sense, would be one way to firm up shifts.
Thanks all for the great information.  Going to do some more research to see if I can determine what ATF is in trans now.

Rumor has it that the B&M Trick Shift "high performance" ATF is nothing more than Type F with blue dye.
That makes sense, would be one way to firm up shifts.
Thanks all for the great information.  Going to do some more research to see if I can determine what ATF is in trans now.
For now I have done all the research to determine what fluid was put in the trans after the re-build. Can't track down who did the work.  All I can determine is that in 2013, The trans was rebuilt/the clutch pack was removed and replaced(assuming with new), seal's (?) were replaced and something was done to the valve body.  This info. comes off of a very bad copy of a receipt.  Total charge for the work was $608.  For now I must assume that the clutch pack was replaced with an organic set as asbestos was probably not available or used in 2013.  I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it runs.  Thanks

Back