Austin Vert's Subframe Connector Question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

I realise many threads have been posted about subframe connectors, but going through them, i could not see any discussion about ride characteristics per say.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, and i've missed it.

A lot of you guys with '71'73 Verts out there have sworn great things by installing connectors. I understand how it would make your vert a more rigid package, but my concern would be how the connectors would effect the RIDE of the car in terms of making the ride more 'HARDER' or 'FIRMER' than it would be without them installed.Would you feel the bumps a lot more if you had them on for example?

I've pretty much tuned my front and rear suspension to what i wanted it to be, and i would not want the ride to be any harder than it is now.(stock front setup and five leaf spring setup for the rear, with no rear swaybar and standard gas shocks).

If anyone can put me in the picture on this question, i would be most thankfull.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Well... in the near future, I'll be able to give you my experience on before and after. Sometime in the next few months, I'm going to take my car to a frame shop and have them check the frame and weld in my Global West subframe connectors that arrived from Jegs yesterday.

My car is pretty loose right now, so my experience my be different that for you if you were install.

I've never actually driven mine (a jaunt through the parking lot doesn't count - even though it's a huge step in my case rofl ), but my understanding is that it will not stiffen up your suspension, per se. They will, however, stiffen the chassis itself, which in-turn eliminates body flex, which is somewhat unrealized and often tuned out with suspension kits (even though it remains with the suspension doing its best to compensate for it).

Our uni-body cars tend to flex a lot more than we can imagine or feel ('verts even more, I'm sure), and the subframe connectors will essentially complete the 'frame' under the car, for greater structural rigidity, which could make your suspension seem to tighten up somewhat. But I would think that feeling would be more limited to turning the car while in-motion.

Just my take, and 'uninformed' at that. When I actually do start driving mine, it'll already have the Global West subframe connectors installed, so I won't have a benchmark to compare.

Hope that helps!

I don't really notice body flex, so it will be interesting to see if I feel a difference once they are installed.

The bigger issue for me is being sure my frame is straight, and tightening things up. I'm getting some door sag, and I don't know if it's frame related or just a bad re-hang when the PO did the restoration.

Yeah, that may be all it is, but if I'm going to install subframe connectors, I may as well be sure the frame is true first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that may be all it is, but if I'm going to install subframe connectors, I may as well be sur the frame is tie first!
Let me know what you find out about your frame after you have it checked please.

After I installed mine on my mach 1 it was a night and day difference in handling and the feeling of the car...... for the better! my car seemed to wonder when driving before and you were constantly making corrections to the wheel. I never really noticed this until after I put the subframe connectors on. it seemed to tighten everything up with the whole feel of the car. Much more responsive to the steering wheel and didn't seem to wonder nearly as much. And all my front end parts we replaced about a year before I installed the subframe connectors. Also when I launch the car hard it seems to stay a lot straighter. Just squats and goes now....if I can keep it from smoking the tires! You wont be disappointed by adding them. I think all our 71-73's regardless of body style would benefit from them.

Thanks for all your responses and feedback guys.

The way i interprate your feedback,is installing the connectors improves flex and handling for sure, but i feel there hasn't been a 'strong' feedback belief that the RIDE will or won't get harder. A couple of members have come straight out and stated they feel it won't, but there seems to be a level of uncertaincy about the ride thing in itself.

Thankfull of course at the response it did get back, i was hoping to have gotten a bigger resonse especially from Vert owners who have installed connectors themselves.So, positive as the feedback has been towards installing connectors, i'm still not wholely convinced that the ride won't be a harder one (feeling the bumps, etc) if i was to install them myself.

Any more feedback would be appreciated on that basis people. I'll try to find time to do more research on this matter as well.

Many thanks,

Will e's advice to Austin Vert's subframe connection question:

Do it.

You will not feel a 'harsher ride". Your car has been fighting gravity for over 40 years. It is trying to bow in the center. When you 'get on it' or 'take a corner' it is twisting. It doesn't like this.

I have them and my ride is not harsh at all. Do it and don't look back.

You will not find a single person who says 'golly, I just wish I had not done the sub frame connectors.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Will e's advice to Austin Vert's subframe connection question:

Do it.

You will not feel a 'harsher ride". Your car has been fighting gravity for over 40 years. It is trying to bow in the center. When you 'get on it' or 'take a corner' it is twisting. It doesn't like this.

I have them and my ride is not harsh at all. Do it and don't look back.

You will not find a single person who says 'golly, I just wish I had not done the sub frame connectors.'
Thanks Will for your strong, positive feedback. You put forward a good convincing case indeed, based on your personal experience.

I think the connectors might be on my next shopping list.

Though I can't speak to the convertible-I thought I was pretty solid in my opinion that the ride was not harshened in any respect by the installation of connectors in my car. The solid connection of the front and rear subframes stops the flex, but it also allows the suspension to move as designed without binding induced from flex. Steering improves and predictability of handling goes way up.

Though I can't speak to the convertible-I thought I was pretty solid in my opinion that the ride was not harshened in any respect by the installation of connectors in my car. The solid connection of the front and rear subframes stops the flex, but it also allows the suspension to move as designed without binding induced from flex. Steering improves and predictability of handling goes way up.
Thanks Jeff,

I'm definately hearing what you're saying, and take your points.

Best thing I did to my fastback. If you have one upgrade option allowed,to add to your mustang, this would be the one. If we could go back to the past, we would be telling Ford, please, please install the complete floor frame.

mustang7173

Latest posts

Back