Auto Meter 5" Speedo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Hello All, I just ordered an Auto Meter 5" in dash speedo. What do I need to adapt this unit to my cabling on a 73 Mach 1

Don't quote me in this but-

If its a mechanical speedo, just attach the cable to the back and then to the transmission. To calibrate the speedo, you will need to know the rear tire size, the gear ratio, and the drive gear tooth count in your transmission (Tremec TKO has 7). With that information, you can order the speedo gear that clips to the transmission end of the speedo cable.

If its an electric speedo, you'll need an adapter that mounts to your transmission. Then just follow the instructions for writing and calibration.

Don't quote me in this but-

If its a mechanical speedo, just attach the cable to the back and then to the transmission. To calibrate the speedo, you will need to know the rear tire size, the gear ratio, and the drive gear tooth count in your transmission (Tremec TKO has 7). With that information, you can order the speedo gear that clips to the transmission end of the speedo cable.

If its an electric speedo, you'll need an adapter that mounts to your transmission. Then just follow the instructions for writing and calibration.
I know about calculting to see what gear I need was just wondering if the cabling will fit or if I need an Adapter or something.

I think there is a difference in the size of the square drive end.

I would start with Auto Meter's recommendation:

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_answer.aspx?sid=2&qid=10

Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks i'll check it out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back