Axle Splines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
My car came with a 3.00:1 open rear... I've been thinking about picking up a setup "chunk" (gears, carrier, housing...) so I could just bolt it in in the place of the stock one. Probably a locker or one of the more performance oriented setups.

I'm wondering what spline count the stock axles have so I can get something that just drops in. Is there anything else I need to worry about with the center section (I believe that if the yolk doesn't match that's not a difficult swap, I don't know if the support type... makes a difference WRT to what bolts up to it)?

The center of the axle (area between the Lug studs) is hollow on a 28 spline. And solid on 31 spline find out first which you have.

Plan ahead on the final power output and use of car.

If you get into drag racing with slicks or over 450 hp or so its time to go 31 spline or more and get the axles now.

For street use or mild street strip use, 28 spline is good enough just uprade to track loc or other favorite locker and gears of choice

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased (due to arrive today :) a 3.50 Trak-loc from

Don Witt of www.ohiomustang.com and he sent me these

pictures so I could tell what axle I had. Just pull a hubcap.

mike

28splinenew_small1.jpg 28 spline

31splinenew_small1.jpg 31 spline

Back