Battery Tray Apron Support WINNER

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have meeting with another mold shop on making the window guides and anti rattle clips this week. Hope he is more reasonable.
David, I sent samples [ three sets of each ] of the window guides, rattle clips and regulator rollers to one of the major manufactures. They called me inquiring if there was a need and a demand. I sent them assemblies to work with, they are going to make them. They are going to come up with a repair / replacement type roller for the 71-3 window regulators too.

Is this in a timely fashion or quite a while? I was just looking over all my window stuff, going to need some work and parts... Keep us posted.

Don, Hopefully this suggestion is not too late for your contact. There was a regulator roller "Fix" Ford released in the late 70's that our tech's resisted because they were not round. Once they got used to this "New Fangled" thing, they loved them.They were rectangular and fit the roller channel guide a lot better than the round rollers. It involved drilling the factory rivet out and installing the new rectangular threaded roller in the regulator lift arm with the Ford supplied nut. The illustration shows where I have placed one in a D1ZZ-6523288-E window channel bracket which attaches to the door glass.

Once Ford started transitioning to the cable drive window regulators in the late 80's/early 90's the demand for these dropped and were quickly discontinued by Ford. So a lot of folks never knew these existed.

If you think this is a viable option, let me know and I will be glad to send you a "New Fangled" roller for your contact to look at.

IMG_0499.JPG

I have meeting with another mold shop on making the window guides and anti rattle clips this week. Hope he is more reasonable.
David, I sent samples [ three sets of each ] of the window guides, rattle clips and regulator rollers to one of the major manufactures. They called me inquiring if there was a need and a demand. I sent them assemblies to work with, they are going to make them. They are going to come up with a repair / replacement type roller for the 71-3 window regulators too.
Is this in a timely fashion or quite a while? I was just looking over all my window stuff, going to need some work and parts... Keep us posted.

There is no time frame - could be months, could be longer.

I am not involved with making the parts. I suggested it a while ago. Now they called for info and samples.

Have not heard back form the guy yet.
From what I have heard, the battery brace guy makes Torino parts - he is a one man operation.

He makes a hundred or so at a time and then will list / sell them.

That's funny! I looked for one of those for a while and finally ordered a rusty original from WCCC. Bead blast, JB weld, and paint and it looks pretty good.

Th problem with that piece is it welds to the apron before the apron goes on the car. So for an original look the lower flange of the battery support bracket actually gets trapped between the inner fender and the frame rail at the spot welds. Mine actually sits on the outside of the frame rail since I didn't realize that piece was missing until long after paint.

kcmash

I posted a thread about the battery support bracket made by a guy named postaldan about a month ago. I bought one myself and it's a very nice match to the original piece and the fit is perfect. He makes Torino parts mostly. The guy is Master Craftsman and is planning on making other 71-73 parts! Stay tuned!! 

The attached picture shows both original and reproduction!

IMG_0762.JPG

Thanks for the Heads Up Rich. The last time the support brackets were offered, I mistakenly figured since he had 10 of them I would check back in a couple of days. Of course they were all sold by then! I had been watching postaldans site for a while but he had only been offering the brackets for the Torino's.

Pushed the "Button" and now it's on the way, so thanks again Rich!

Installed the battery tray support this week. Since the inner fender apron area was already finished without the support bracket, I was not about to pull it all apart to install it. So instead I trimmed the bottom edge of the support bracket a little and was able to fit it into the seam where the frame rail and apron meet. Strip the contact area down to bare metal, tack it in place with a few welds and refinish the area. I think it came out looking great.

Before bracket installation

Trimmed Bracket on bottom

Fit bracket in place

Bracket installed and finished

Installed the battery tray support this week. Since the inner fender apron area was already finished without the support bracket, I was not about to pull it all apart to install it. So instead I trimmed the bottom edge of the support bracket a little and was able to fit it into the seam where the frame rail and apron meet. Strip the contact area down to bare metal, tack it in place with a few welds and refinish the area. I think it came out looking great.

Before bracket installation

Trimmed Bracket on bottom

Fit bracket in place

Bracket installed and finished

Once again, great info here guys!

I'm replacing my fender apron and needed the bracket as well.

I couldn't find an active listing for the part anywhere, or on ebay. I did a "seller search" for "postaldan514" and found the guy. I contacted him, he promptly replied and had the bracket at my house in a couple of days.

Outstanding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold we ask postaldan514 if we can publish his contact information?  I need a support for my 72

postaldan514 just listed new ones on ebay....$35

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=COUGAR+BATTERY+TRAY+APRON+SUPPORT&_sacat=0

s-l225.webp

Back