BFG Radial T/A vs Cooper Cobra for smooth ride

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Costa Q Code

Reaction score
My Car
3rd Owner 1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hi All ! I would be interested to hear any opinions on BFG Radial T/A vs Cooper Cobras when it comes to comfortable ride, I have been searching youtube videos but no real good comparisons between them. I currently have the previous batch of BFG's where the letters always turn brown no matter how much you clean them and they are 7 years old now so now have to decide to get another set of BFG's or maybe Coopers if they ride better would be good to know if anybody has experience with them...thanks in advance

Update: thanks to everyone who replied, looks like not much difference in performance so it comes down to looks on which you prefer

Last edited:
I used to run the Cooper tires (235/60R15) on the factory Magnum 500 wheels and never had any issues with them. They had a comfortable ride and were quiet on the road. I've since switched to 17" wheels and General G-Max tires. There's a much better selection of tires in the 17" sizes.

I have been running the BFG Radial T/As and happy with them. I've seen many cars running the Cooper Cobras, haven't heard anything really derogatory, save for wet weather handling by one of our members. The Cobra lettering tie-in on our Fords isn't lost on me, and likely a small reason for their purchase. The best I've ever had were the old Goodyear Eagle S/Ts, sadly not made any more, wish they were.

I run Coopers on my Wrangler, and might think about using them on the Mach 1 for a different tie-in (the last name). I try to avoid driving in wet weather, but the comments I've heard about that worry me a bit. However, that has not been a problem on my Jeep.

I have been running the BFG Radial T/As and happy with them. I've seen many cars running the Cooper Cobras, haven't heard anything really derogatory, save for wet weather handling by one of our members. The Cobra lettering tie-in on our Fords isn't lost on me, and likely a small reason for their purchase. The best I've ever had were the old Goodyear Eagle S/Ts, sadly not made any more, wish they were.
The Goodyear Eagles were a great looking tire.

Add me to the list of people who don’t like Cobra Kai’s in the rain. Hard pass

If things would've worked out properly, I would have BFGs on mine, but when I received my 245/60R15s from Summit with a 'back-order' tag for the 295/50R15s, I waited patiently for 6 months and finally went to Discount Tire for a set (same sizes) of Cooper Cobras, and that's what I've had on the car since Sep 2014.

Aside from the wording and tread pattern, if you squint a little, you really can't tell the difference between the BFGs and Cobras - appearance-wise. But, I just want BFGs, dammit.

I don't drive mine in the rain, so I can't say I've experienced any wet-traction issues. However, the fronts are doing the same brown lettering thing as the BFGs listed above. Nothing cleans them up except for 800-grit, and there's no avoiding it coming back after a period of time. It's too bad it's not the rears - I'd make it a point to burn 'em down every chance I get until it was time to replace.

IMG_20210327_140953155_HDR.jpg

If things would've worked out properly, I would have BFGs on mine, but when I received my 245/60R15s from Summit with a 'back-order' tag for the 295/50R15s, I waited patiently for 6 months and finally went to Discount Tire for a set (same sizes) of Cooper Cobras, and that's what I've had on the car since Sep 2014.

Aside from the wording and tread pattern, if you squint a little, you really can't tell the difference between the BFGs and Cobras - appearance-wise. But, I just want BFGs, dammit.

I don't drive mine in the rain, so I can't say I've experienced any wet-traction issues. However, the fronts are doing the same brown lettering thing as the BFGs listed above. Nothing cleans them up except for 800-grit, and there's no avoiding it coming back after a period of time. It's too bad it's not the rears - I'd make it a point to burn 'em down every chance I get until it was time to replace.

View attachment 89664
After 10 years you probably should just go ahead and get a set of BFGs!

The Goodyear Eagle GT and GT II were pretty good tires as well. The BFGs look the part but, a lot less traction under acceleration than the Goodyears. The BFGs do ride fine.
EDIT: http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/n729/

Last edited:

View attachment 89664
The Cobras have changed a lot over tens year’s cosmetically they have a big Cobra snake 🐍 on the side wall now.

Since we are on the subject of tires I’m thinking of changing my front tires from a 235/60 to a 225/70.
Because I think the 235/60 is to short looking. I have 275/60 on the back and they are 28 inches. The 235/60 is 26.1 and the 225/70 is 27.4
I know if the tire gets too tall it can hit the frame when the wheel is turned all the way.
Has anyone ran a tire that tall oh the front with a 15x7 Magnum?
Thanks

The Goodyear Eagle GT and GT II were pretty good tires as well. The BFGs look the part but, a lot less traction under acceleration than the Goodyears. The BFGs do ride fine.
EDIT: http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/n729/
I had Eagle GT +4's on my 70 back in 90. They were a fantastic tire. Rain was not a problem. Even in the winter (snow!) they were decent.
After that car was gone I put them on my Opel Manta. Even better on a car that handles.
And then they quit making them.

But I've never like BFG. Except for a vintage pair of BF Goodrich basketball shoes from the 60s. Still have them somewhere.

I have had BFG, Cooper, Goodyear and a few others on 70's cars and there is really no difference ride wise from any of them on these type cars. Practically all of it is the size you are running. The softer tires are going to handle better. Pick the ones you like the look of.

I have BFG’s. I think they have a classic look. Next best thing to the original Goodyear Polyglas GT. The Goodyear repo’s are now over $400 each, that’s crazy! If they weren’t so expensive I’d buy a set just because of the look.

I have BFG’s. I think they have a classic look. Next best thing to the original Goodyear Polyglas GT. The Goodyear repo’s are now over $400 each, that’s crazy! If they weren’t so expensive I’d buy a set just because of the look.
I totally agree but like you I can’t see paying 400 a piece for a bias ply tire.
I even looked at buying some N 50’s 😊

I currently have BFG 235/60/15 on 15 x 7 Magnums 500s . Before that I had Yokohama AVS 235/60/15s which have been out of production for years. They were great V rated tires and were super sticky. I like the BFGs except that they have doubled in price since I last purchased them. I am looking at about $200 a tire now. The economy is just so awesome.

Ron

I currently have BFG 235/60/15 on 15 x 7 Magnums 500s . Before that I had Yokohama AVS 235/60/15s which have been out of production for years. They were great V rated tires and were super sticky. I like the BFGs except that they have doubled in price since I last purchased them. I am looking at about $200 a tire now. The economy is just so awesome.

Ron
Yes this economy is rock’in 😡 🤐

Latest posts

Back