Blackout hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The owner of the shop where my car is says the blackout paint and texture should be the same from 69-73. They are painting  a 69 Mach 1 this week and I asked him if the blackout paint is the same for my car and he said yes. He has been doing Mustang restoration for about 35 years, so I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about. But I will definitely be checking out this paint before he does mine. Like I said before, he ownes an original and unrestored 71 429 Mach 1, so I am confident in what he is doing.

I will be going there before they start on my car, probably not for another week or so. I will let you guys know about their operation for sure. Can’t wait to see his 429 car either.
 Sorry , but I believe he is wrong. At the end of the day, it's your car, your way.

Enjoy.

The owner of the shop where my car is says the blackout paint and texture should be the same from 69-73. They are painting  a 69 Mach 1 this week and I asked him if the blackout paint is the same for my car and he said yes. He has been doing Mustang restoration for about 35 years, so I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about. But I will definitely be checking out this paint before he does mine. Like I said before, he ownes an original and unrestored 71 429 Mach 1, so I am confident in what he is doing.

I will be going there before they start on my car, probably not for another week or so. I will let you guys know about their operation for sure. Can’t wait to see his 429 car either.
 Sorry , but I believe he is wrong. At the end of the day, it's your car, your way.

Enjoy.
I’m still not sure about that either to tell you the truth. I’m not doing a concourse restoration or anything like that, but I would like it to be accurate. I sure do like the way your hood turned out and I also want it to be easy to take care of.

https://ibb.co/fox2xq[/URL]

David, I pulled this picture from your post on P1. I'm sure it's been measured before and noted, but could you do me a favor and measure the distance from the  outside edge of the 1/4" stripe to the very edge of the hood at the windshield and just where the curve starts. ON BOTH SIDES

I'm curious because I have it at 6" and that was from other info I found. Perhaps that was in the Mustang Monthly article, I can't remember.

Also, as noted on the 429 megasite, the "expert" Bob Perkins notes that the black-out paint is NON textured PPG 9423. That's interesting because from the scan of an actual original PPG color chart for 1971 & 72 Mustang (and others) the black-out paint is  Ditzler/PPG 9381. I could not find reference to the 9423 anywhere on those charts, back or front. My local PPG supplier tells me he can still match 9381.

See below. I posted the 72 as jpaz has a 72 Q code.
The expert with name that starts with P wrote the MCA rules to fit his needs not fit what the car was. I personally know he changes the mileage on the cars to his advantage.

Here is pic I had with a ruler on the hood might give you something. Dark now no power in the barn.

Stating a visual observation on the surface is too open. If the surface could be checked with profilometer and then compared is only real way of knowing. Opinions are just that you have to have facts to end it.

The black out is way off center as most are. They threw down the mask and sprayed the car.

DSC-2477.jpg

David, I pulled this picture from your post on P1. I'm sure it's been measured before and noted, but could you do me a favor and measure the distance from the  outside edge of the 1/4" stripe to the very edge of the hood at the windshield and just where the curve starts. ON BOTH SIDES

I'm curious because I have it at 6" and that was from other info I found. Perhaps that was in the Mustang Monthly article, I can't remember.

Also, as noted on the 429 megasite, the "expert" Bob Perkins notes that the black-out paint is NON textured PPG 9423. That's interesting because from the scan of an actual original PPG color chart for 1971 & 72 Mustang (and others) the black-out paint is  Ditzler/PPG 9381. I could not find reference to the 9423 anywhere on those charts, back or front. My local PPG supplier tells me he can still match 9381.

See below. I posted the 72 as jpaz has a 72 Q code.
The expert with name that starts with P wrote the MCA rules to fit his needs not fit what the car was. I personally know he changes the mileage on the cars to his advantage.

Here is pic I had with a ruler on the hood might give you something. Dark now no power in the barn.

Stating a visual observation on the surface is too open. If the surface could be checked with profilometer and then compared is only real way of knowing. Opinions are just that you have to have facts to end it.

The black out is way off center as most are. They threw down the mask and sprayed the car.
David, thanks for taking the time to do this. It would definitely appear my info was a bit off as would be the Graphics Express template. The dimension I got (and I wish I could find that info), was 6" from the outside of the 1/4" stripe to the edge of the hood. Yours looks more like 5" and that make a bit more sense of what our friend, 7173Vert, with the powder blue 429 Vert was saying. Your comment on "they would throw down the mask and paint the car" makes sense, but we as restorers of our cars want them to be 'perfect' and we all know that doesn't often happen.

As for the "expert" I have no personal knowledge of his ethics or experience, but you're not the only one to question him from all accounts.

As for the texture, yes or no, I tried in vain to contact PPG in the hopes of finding the truth about what was what for the paint code numbers they used. Unfortunately, I could not get an email to go through. Maybe I'll try again if I can find another way. I'm as curious as all hell to find out as well now.

I did find another forum of sorts where this subject was the topic. It would seem the same misinformation and confusion is all over. Time to put the 'detective hat' on I guess!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back