Block casting number help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Ok so I have a 73 H Code. Pulled the motor. Vin stamping matches my vin. Car was manufactured May of 73. Block casting number is D2AE-CA with date stamp of 2K30?? Also found this tag on the drivers side at the back of the block. Any idea what this is?

IMG_2481.JPG

The only time I've seen these plates riveted to blocks is because of warranty work apparently. I was told this many years ago by an old time mechanic that worked at both Ford and GM back in the 60's 70's and early 80's. He said the number is for corespondence for the factory to see exact what was done to it under warranty. I don't know for sure if it's the same in the US, but that's what I've seen here in Australia. As he said, it had to be pretty serious for them to actually replace an engine back then rather than find the problem and replace the parts only necessary for the repair, eg: one valve not seating properly, then that's all they fixed under warranty and minimal parts to put it back together. Hope this might help.

Does the October 72 date code make sense for a late 73?
I've seen crazier things on blocks fitted to cars, but they're mainly Australian cars I've seen this including a block that was cast nearly a year beforehand. Try looking for the engine number on the drivers side machined area behind the cylinder head. That's going to be the only way to tell for sure if it really is your original matching block.

It is there. Matches vin.
Then it's definitely the real deal. As the Ford historian was tell me a few years back, sometimes blocks got lost during rotation, hence earlier cast blocks going into later model vehicles such as yours. Interesting on that riveted plate though to see if it's the same deal as over here. Hopefully someone will know for sure.

I know that "Fred Jones" replacement engines had an ID tag on them...been too long for me to recall what the tag looked like. I'm really doubtful it's a Fred Jones rebuild since the s/n on the block matches the vin.

Interesting

Latest posts

Back