Blocking off manifold's exhaust crossover

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Q1SVT

Reaction score
think part of the problem is to only focus on the melting point of the metal. We need to look at the strength of the material over temperature. While aluminum (beer can or turkey pan) will melt near 1200F,
LOL, piston are in the combustion chamber and would see some of the hottest temperature and they do not get anywhere near five hundred degrees... Exhaust valves get hottest because the have no place to shed heat and are in the middle of the exhaust flow.

How often do you change your pistons? Aluminum heads...
Oils @ 300* begin to breakdown

The crossover never sees the exhaust temperature ... shoot it with a heat gun.
A blocked crossover stops the flow of exhaust into that area of the head from the exhaust pocket hole 1/8"-3/16". Gasses like water find the easiest path out.

SCE gaskets and Mr. Gasket both sell intake gaskets with blocked heat crossover. I confirmed several years ago that the gasket will not burn through at the heat crossover. Chuck
+1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
LOL, piston are in the combustion chamber and would see some of the hottest temperature and they do not get anywhere near five hundred degrees... Exhaust valves get hottest because the have no place to shed heat and are in the middle of the exhaust flow.

How often do you change your pistons? Aluminum heads...
Oils @ 300* begin to breakdown

The crossover never sees the exhaust temperature ... shoot it with a heat gun.
A blocked crossover stops the flow of exhaust into that area of the head from the exhaust pocket hole 1/8"-3/16". Gasses like water find the easiest path out.

+1
I am not the argumentative type but you are bringing the materials engineer on me so i will expand. First, keep in mind that i am backing up what i wrote with scientific data (btw, if you read the article it is very interesting since it talks about exhaust applications). And yes, the type of aluminum alloy used in pistons and cylinder heads is very different than that used in beer cans. The aluminum used for aerospace is also very different. Those alloys are designed to withstand very high temperatures compared to a beer can. Otherwise beer will be very expensive.... Just throwing this out there since you brought it up.
Again not picking an argument here and by no means saying that a beer can wont work. I have heard of many people like you that have used it successfully. All i am implying is that you can use SS to increase the safety factor because i have also heard others indicating that the beer can trick has failed.

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Did you have any issues with leakage?
Not to my knowledge. Have had no need to take the intake off. I installed mine into the intake, not the heads. Put the gaskets on as normal, with no turkey pan. Only additional thing I wish I had done was get the bottom of the intake ceramic coated. This photo is before I added Hi-Temp JB Weld to fill the gaps. 20200627_095304.jpg

Last edited: