Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/24/2014

Made the decision that I am going to pull the motor and go over it. Tired of trying to figure out where the problem is while it's in the car. Going to take a break from it and relax and then start on the fix.

-jbojo

Good call on pulling the motor. I know it's the last thing you want to do at this point in time in the game but it'll be nice to have the assurance of knowing exactly what your working with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just another thought. Does anyone know if there are any screw in plugs in the oil galleries that could have possibly been left off? If I check the bearings and they are good and clearances in spec what could be the cause? Trying to figure out the plan of attack here.

thx

-jbojo

Since many of you said to check clearances of the bearings I decided to do a little research and found this from Melling. They show how much clearances can affect the pressure. Thought that I would pass this on.

-jbojo

sorry for all your problems i cant belive what you are going tru makes

me afraid to fire mine up whitch i am hoping to do tonight

sorry for all your problems i cant belive what you are going tru makes

me afraid to fire mine up whitch i am hoping to do tonight
Thx liftmech.

All I can suggest is that you prelube the motor before firing it up and use an oil with high ZDP. My mistake was not building the motor myself and knowing the clearances were right. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

-jbojo

Another area to watch for with stroker builds is the side clearances. The Chevy type h beam rods and the cranks don't always match up to provide acceptable side clearance. to much and you bleed oil pressure, too little and you get friction, heat and bad stuff happening. It's not to hard to get more clearance, but less is a real challenge! I ended up with .016 side clearance on journals 3 & 4, .018 on two and .020 on Journal 1. rods all measured identical so there was nothing to do but accept the slight variation- but numbers all are within the accepted range. So far she seems to be oiling well and the top end doesn't seem to be getting overlubed.

4/4/2014

Hopefully tomorrow I will start to remove the motor. After thinking about it for awhile I am going to completely disassemble it and put it back together myself. One area that I will concentrate on are the bearing clearances. One thing that came to mind is that I have the Eagle forged connecting rods installed and they require the 351W bearings. Not sure if the right ones were installed by the builder so I am hoping that nothing was damaged and this is the cause. I will plastigage all the clearances and make sure everything is in spec. Hopefully my oiling issues are fixed when I get done with this. More to come when I have the motor on the stand again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you have a plan and you've identified something that might be the source of your problem. That's always a nice thing to have when you're trying to make a game plan. Keep us updated as the work progresses! I'm sure you'll have it back together in no time at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke with Eagle Specialty Products about my issue and they told me that the journal size for the connecting rods on a 351C and 351W are the same which I knew. The difference is with the housing bore and it's bigger on the Windsor motor. The Windsor bearings are thicker so my guess is that the Cleveland bearings were installed and the shop didn't bother to measure the clearances. The problem is I probably have excessive clearance on the connecting rod bearings.

Didn't get to work on the car this last weekend however this coming weekend Mike (aka Hyena429) is going to drop by to help me get the hood off so that I can pull the motor. Hopefully this is the problem.

4/12/14

Today, Mike and his cousin came over and helped me get the hood off. I have now gotten over this and am ready to jump back in this again. We did start the motor after sitting for a couple of weeks and it fired right up. There still was not any unusual noises, just the oil pressure dropping as the motor warmed up. It is going to be torn down completely and all clearances checked again as I put it back together again. I won't update again until I have found where the issue is.

Thanks for the update. Wish I were there to help you, and we'll miss seeing you down here next week.

May The Force Be With You!

-Travis

Man it sucks...But it will be a awesome car once its done..Scott was really impressed with how you got it set up..should be a monster..Bump in the road..But atleast it should not be too costly...He said he happy to help with any troubles that mite pop up...He can't wait to see that terror on the road..lol

Thanks for the update. Wish I were there to help you, and we'll miss seeing you down here next week.

May The Force Be With You!

-Travis
Travis,

Yeah I am bummed that I couldn't make it, it should be a great event. Make sure you take a lot of pictures at the event and especially your get together with the group. It would be nice to put faces to names. Have a great time.

-john

5/8/14

So the motivation is back now and I have started to disassemble everything now. I have everything removed now and just need to remove the tranny to motor bolts and remove the engine mount bolts then out it comes.

I am going to try to leave the tranny in. Does anyone see any issues with that? I am going to use a tranny jack to help support the weight while the motor is out. Hopefully by tomorrow night the motor will be on the engine stand again and I'll start checking all the bearing clearances. More to come tomorrow.

5/8/14

So the motivation is back now and I have started to disassemble everything now. I have everything removed now and just need to remove the tranny to motor bolts and remove the engine mount bolts then out it comes.

I am going to try to leave the tranny in. Does anyone see any issues with that? I am going to use a tranny jack to help support the weight while the motor is out. Hopefully by tomorrow night the motor will be on the engine stand again and I'll start checking all the bearing clearances. More to come tomorrow.
Just be careful with the torque converter seal.

Travis

Latest posts

Back