Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/25/15

Finally found a local shop that will fab up the AC lines for me so that will be done next week. SSC North America is opening a place here and while they wait for their new facilities the owners are taking on jobs for his mechanics to occupy their time until they get into their new place. I am sure they will make up the hoses I need so it looks good.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/05/28/2411606/shelby-supercar-groundbreaking.html

I'll post up pics of that and all my checklists should be done. For the next 10 days the temps here will be 100+ so it will be nice to have this working again. The next 4 days is Cool Desert nights so I'll be out looking at everyone's rides.

Edit: Here are some of the cars they make.

http://www.sscnorthamerica.com/ultimate-aero.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim (sdstang)

Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, I completely forgot about it.

I jacked the car up today and pulled one of the fasteners for the rear sway bar bushing to determine what was used at the factory in 73. These are the original Screws but I did upgrade the rear bar to a larger one, the only difference is that the bushing is different than the stock one.

Attaching pic of the area that you are interested in. In the first pic you will see a hole in the frame toward the rear of the car. Both sides have this hole and I am not sure what is was for, maybe a reference hole, who knows.

Let me know if you need anything else and I will try to be a little faster next time.

-john

Oh yeah, didn't realize how much dirt has accumulated on the bottom side so this gave me a chance to clean it up a little. ;)

EDIT: Picture order is different from how I saved it, not sure why.

IMG_0584[1].JPG

IMG_0586[1].JPG

IMG_0588[1].JPG

IMG_0589[1].JPG

Took the car in today to get the AC hoses made up and installed. We are also putting a pressure switch on the line so if Freon is lost it will shut down the compressor so it's not ruined similar to what's in home AC units. I'll pick up the car tomorrow and then wire the compressor to the computer so that it increases the idle RPM's when the AC is turned on. Then I'll take it back and we'll charge the system. I'll post the pics when I can.

This is the last item that I need to complete then I am done and on to the next project.

7/14/15

Setback today. They did not have the fittings that attach to the expansion valve so they had to be ordered and expected to be in by Monday. The second issue is that I installed the condenser up side down so I am going to have to disassemble the front end area to get it fixed. I guess that I will be doing this this weekend. Didn't know that the larger fitting had to be at the bottom. Lesson learned.

7/27/15

Got the condenser removed , oriented the correct way with the larger fitting on top and reinstalled. I like the way it came out as I modified and made new brackets that fit much better and gives it a cleaner look.

Delivered the car to the shop that is making up the new AC hoses and attaching them and then they will take a vacuum on the system, check for leaks and charge the system. I should be able to pick up the car on Thursday and then will have to wire the pressure switch and it should be done. It's going to be 103* this coming weekend so it will give me a chance to check it out.

On a side note my Fuel gauge is not working properly so I had to get one from Don (OMS) and try to install it before I leave on vacation.

7/31/15

Got the car back and the AC system is almost working now. I have a problem in that I only have low for a fan speed so I am going to have to look into that a little more. It's a 100* + today and it was cool in the car so I know that the AC system is working, just don't have good fan speed to push the cold air out. Also I have the Freon switch installed so if the system loses the Freon charge it will shut off the compressor so that I don't lock it up. This weekend I need to tidy up the wiring and put things back together.

IMG_0604[1].JPG

IMG_0605[1].JPG

IMG_0606[1].JPG

IMG_0607[1].JPG

Nicely done! Keep in mind that your compressor may not like spinning at your maximum RPM. It's actually spinning a little faster because of the differences in the crank and AC pulley. I believe this is one of the reasons the older cars with high RPM engines didn't have AC as an option. It looks like you upgraded from a York so what you have may be able to handle the RPM's but, as a general rule, I would avoid the high RPM's when the AC is on. ;)

I may be totally wrong about this. I only know what I have read about it. No actual experience.

Nicely done! Keep in mind that your compressor may not like spinning at your maximum RPM. It's actually spinning a little faster because of the differences in the crank and AC pulley. I believe this is one of the reasons the older cars with high RPM engines didn't have AC as an option. It looks like you upgraded from a York so what you have may be able to handle the RPM's but, as a general rule, I would avoid the high RPM's when the AC is on. ;)

I may be totally wrong about this. I only know what I have read about it. No actual experience.
Thx, yeah I got a Sanden compressor now. RPM at 70 mph is around 3000 so I think that it should be fine. Thx for the heads up.

Looks great!! I am surpized your fan does not blow faster, mine " even know it does not have ac hooked up anymore" blows alot of air, and is good at blowing crap in my face when it first fires up after sitting..lol

8/2/15

Got everything put back together again and wired up to the EFI computer. Now as soon as the AC is switched on one electric fan comes on and the idle is increased so that part is working.

Also got the 3 fan speeds but still not much air flow. Beginning to think that all the vacuum motors may not be adjusted correctly and so the internal doors may not be opening/closing properly. Researched where the doors should be at all the switch settings so going to check that next. Hoping its only an adjustments and the door are not opening all the way. More to follow.

EDIT Adding some interior shots for SCGAMECOCK, let me know if you want any others.

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

P3080067.JPG

John, the car looks awesome! I'm going to have to figure out a way to come to WA to meet you and see your masterpiece! Well done!

For Tony-muscle

Here are some pics that you asked me about for the Ram Air mod to make the air cleaner base work with the MSD distributors. In the end I bought a repop Ram Air base ($250.00) and cut out the indented area at the front, doing this you can't use the "Front" sticker that would normally on the front of the cleaner base.

IMG_0411.JPG

Here I measured the diameter of the dizzy cap and outlined the radius with a sharpie and used a dremel to cut out the material. I cut the sides down to the ridge. You can use the dizzy cap as a template but add about 3/8" more to give you some clearance for the plug wires. Use a strip of sheet metal and weld the new sides on.

IMG_0414.JPG

Here I got a piece of sheet metal and cut it to covet the top of the dizzy. The blue is body filler that I used to make everything look nice. These are old pics I took and didn't have a pic where I welded the top plate.

IMG_0415.JPG

Everything welded up.

IMG_0416.JPG

Sanding the filler to pretty things up

IMG_0417.JPG

More sanding

IMG_0418.JPG

Top part painted after prep work done

IMG_0419.JPG

Inside view. I didn't worry too much about the welds as you can't see these when its all put together

IMG_0420.JPG

Test fitting

IMG_0423.JPG

completed view

IMG_0424.JPG

another view

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back