Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/1/15

Thanks for the comments everyone!!!

Well I tore the house apart looking for those screws for the plenum and finally located them and so I worked on my project today.

The Good news, everything fit and so my engine compartment has a new look now. The question as to whether a Blue Thunder Manifold can be used is answered and the answer is yes on a 73. That pesky MSD dizzy (8580) can also be used by modifying the Air cleaner some. The flapper doors close when at idle and when you hit the gas they open correctly. I am attaching a few shots of the set up and once shot of the car stance so you can see the clearance I have with the Hooker Super Comp headers. Also the hood stays open with the round springs.

The bad news is that my temperature gauge stopped working again so I am going to have to figure it out again. I had this issue earlier on but it started working so I must have a loose connection somewhere. Overall a good day though.

Ram1.JPG

Ram2.JPG

ram3.JPG

Ram4.JPG

Ram5.JPG

Stance.JPG

With my excitement of getting the Ram Air done/working and the car on the road I completely forgot that I don't have the AC connected yet. I saw the thread about 71Mach1lady looking for the AC vacuum switch and that reminded me. I am going to have to have custom lines made up since I moved everything around. Think that I'll be going with Gotta Show in Laveen AZ. They did my PS hose and I was happy with them. List of issues just keeps growing :)

* Fix temp gauge, not working again

* Finish AC.

Attached a pic of how my condenser and dryer is set up. Thinking of running the lines through the existing hole and under the battery.

IMG_0016.JPG

Thx Jim, couldn't have gotten this done without your help.

Quick update for today:

Worked on the temperature gauge issue and got it working again. Turned out to be a loose connection in the engine bay by the firewall and must have come loose when I was fitting the new air cleaner base. So that is checked off the list and now the AC is the only thing left.

Mike (Hyena 429) also came by today so we went for a drive. He took some pictures of the car and will post them in the glamour shot thread soon. We also tried to video the car as I drove by so if it comes out he will post a link to the video here.

Anyway it was nice to be able to take the car out again for a spin today.

Wow, looking and sounding great! Great job
Thx I appreciate it. Really looking fwd to seeing a video of your car on the road. It's going to sound like a killer.

I used that lizard Skin on my car and it sure cuts down on the interior noise. The exhaust sound does not come into the car when I am on the road too much anymore. No heat on the driver floorboards anymore either. It used to get so hot that the rubber floor mat in the carpeting got so soft that it ripped at the seams.

Thanks for the ride along, glad too shoot that awesome car, next time im going to break out the cam stands " got small ones for riding on the dash too" and shade the lens better..and shoot it proper, when i forgot to shade the lens when you come back in, it lit the video screen up..hehe was a bit too much traffic to reshoot " and cops" ..sooo i figured it would be good enough for now..Take it out in badger canyon sometime for some awesome pics " plus it is such a great driving road anyways.

3/22/15

Worked on the AC system today mocking up the AC hose runs. I want to run hard lines from the air dryer and the inlet of the condenser to the small hole in the radiator core support just below where the battery would sit and then transition to stainless braided hose in the engine compartment. The issue that I am having right now is locating the fittings for the expansion valve to stainless braided hose. The valve requires a male fitting and so far I can only find female ends. If anyone knows where I can source these that would be great if you can point me to them. Also got an extension that moves the suction/discharge port from the top of the compressor and lowers the connections to the side and below the compressor. Trying to minimize the number of hoses on top of the motor to maintain a cleaner look.

Attaching pic of core support setup and the new part to move the compressor fitting lower in the engine bay.

Thx in advance for the help with locating the braided hose to expansion valve fitting. The size needed is an 8 and 10 AN.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

4/4/15

Still working on various issues that have come up while driving the car and the brakes don't work as well as I like. Had discussions with Boss1Ray and c9zx and decided to put in a vacuum reservoir to try to improve the braking. Right now I have only 12" of vacuum at idle and 20" at 2000 rpm so this should help out. The other issue is where to put it as I am running out of open areas to install it. I think that I'll try to place it in the area of the fuel evap canister but it's pretty well crowded in that area now.

I have an idea as to where to install it but I need another passenger side shock tower brace so if anyone with a donor car has one laying around and willing to sell it PM me with the price, I'd appreciate it.

thx

-jbojo

If I understand you correctly, your talking about the flat export brace? You can just have my set. I don't need them.

image.jpgis this the piece or do you mean something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's it. I might have found one that's closer to me. Can I get back to you?

thx

-jbojo

If I understand you correctly, your talking about the flat export brace? You can just have my set. I don't need them.

is this the piece or do you mean something else?

Yes that's it. I might have found one that's closer to me. Can I get back to you?

thx

-jbojo

is this the piece or do you mean something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
4/10/15

First off a big thanks to Travis (Doug the Dog) for sending the brace that I'll need. It's going be here on Monday and I'll get it prepped for my mod.

So after thinking about the placement I decided to mount it on the passenger side above where the fuel evap canister is located. It's too tall and big to mount vertically in that area so I am going to lay it on it's side and attach it to the brace. I'll be welding a strip of metal at a slight inward angle to attach the canister so that it'll tuck under the brace a little. This should still give me the room I need to run the heater and AC hoses that I'll need. Hopefully this will provide the reserve vacuum that I need for the brakes.

The other option was a vacuum pump but it would had to be mounted in the trunk and makes a lot of noise and would have run $300 to $400 to do. If this works the cost is only $50. I'll post pics of the welding mods when done. Dimension for the canister is:

5" diameter

6.75" tall

I got this from Summit.

-jbojo

IMG_0441[1].JPG

IMG_0442[1].JPG

IMG_0443[1].JPG

5/3/15

Been a while since I have worked on the car so today I decided to get the brake vacuum reservoir project started. The engine compartment is getting crowded so it was difficult to find a suitable location. I decided to attach it to the passenger side brace and welded the bracket to it. Travis, (Doug The Dog) gave me a brace so I didn't modify the original one and the mod can be backed out if I decide I don't like it. The can will lay on it's side but I think that it'll work. A few pictures of where I welded the mounting bracket and how it looks when the can is attached to the brace. I painted the brace so I need to let it sit for a day before I mount it on the car. By next weekend I'll be able to try it out and see if it helps with the braking assist. I'll post pics of it mounted in the car next week.

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

5/9/15

Got Brakes!!!

Finished the vacuum reservoir installation and the pwr brake system now has 20" of vacuum and the car stops much better now. The only issue with the way I installed it is when it comes time to change the plugs I'll have to remove it to gain access. A few pics of before and after.

Last item on my to do list is to get the AC lines made up. Can't find anyone who will do it locally. I may have to go to Seattle to get this done.

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Back