Bolts an Nuts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaheenk

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe
Hi Guys , 

I know there are loads of individual posts about bolt sizes and threads needed for various bits on our cars. And yes you can buy bolt sets in packs but I am thinking it should be cheaper to list the required bolts/Nuts and where they go on here and buy them from a local bolt/nut supplier.

Being in South Africa its a bit difficult to find the right ones as we work on Metric systems and not the imperial required for the mustangs, I have already found that you can cross thread or damage bolts using the wrong metric sizes.

do u have a hardware store in your area??? of course mine carries everything i need.. metric, std, SS, chrome etc. using metric in a std is not a good idea and can lead to problems if u use one on say head bolts, or intake. i don't know how to solve your problem other then be very careful changing std to metric.

Wow, never thought about lack of bolts in certain countries. Obviously the biggest issue for you will be anything that is tapped. Like engine blocks, heads, etc. Other parts you can replace both the bolt and nut but there isn't a lot of those on the car are there? Ubolts, the bolts on the firewall for the shock tower brace, perhaps the battery hold down.

Things that use the clips you can probably get away with using a similar metric too.

My thoughts on it are this.

You may be able to save a few bucks getting off the shelf bolts from  hardware store, but administratively it is not worth it.  

1) Even if I can find the correct thread and length, Ford used a lot of Washer Head, grade 5 or better fasteners.  I have a real tough time finding washer head bolts in the size we need, not to mention the length problem too.

2) If you are concerned about coatings looking original, there are a lot of gold chromate, clear chromate, and black oxide coatings used throughout the car.  I stared out cleaning and repainting fasteners on my car and quickly realized the $200 for a Master bolt kit from a Mustang parts vendor saved me a ton of time and effort.

SOOOOOO.  With me, the cost of the bolt kit was well worth it.  I don't know how many days it has saved me in the restoration process to be able to grab my master kit and quickly bolt that cleanly refinished item back on the car.  Before the kit, I would suddenly say, crap!  now I need to stop assembly to go paint bolts, or run to the hardware store(s) and HOPE I can find the right bolt.  Then my whole day was gone and I was out of project time.

Consider that.  The kits have the correct grade, length, size and it all packaged in little ID bags that tell you where they go.

kcmash

My thoughts on it are this.

You may be able to save a few bucks getting off the shelf bolts from  hardware store, but administratively it is not worth it.  

1) Even if I can find the correct thread and length, Ford used a lot of Washer Head, grade 5 or better fasteners.  I have a real tough time finding washer head bolts in the size we need, not to mention the length problem too.

2) If you are concerned about coatings looking original, there are a lot of gold chromate, clear chromate, and black oxide coatings used throughout the car.  I stared out cleaning and repainting fasteners on my car and quickly realized the $200 for a Master bolt kit from a Mustang parts vendor saved me a ton of time and effort.

SOOOOOO.  With me, the cost of the bolt kit was well worth it.  I don't know how many days it has saved me in the restoration process to be able to grab my master kit and quickly bolt that cleanly refinished item back on the car.  Before the kit, I would suddenly say, crap!  now I need to stop assembly to go paint bolts, or run to the hardware store(s) and HOPE I can find the right bolt.  Then my whole day was gone and I was out of project time.

Consider that.  The kits have the correct grade, length, size and it all packaged in little ID bags that tell you where they go.

kcmash
I agree with kcmash here. The bolt kits or suppliers like AMK are not the cheapest option, but are a time saver, and as i say.... time is money. I have bought small kits like body or the correct size and type water pump bolts, etc, and then bought specific nuts and bolts, such as pierce nuts, square cage nuts, winged cage nuts as needed from AMK. If you have shop and assembly manuals you can usually get the part number and then contact AMK who can cross reference it with thier inventory.

Granted even with the replacement hardware bolt head markings are not always an exact match. So if you have the orginals and total originality is important to you then spending the time and money to refinish originals is the only way.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the guys in the USA its quite easy , but , ship for $8 and you done, total cost $158.

For anyone out of the US its not that simple.

$150 for item

$75 - $100 for shipping

$30 - $40 on Customs

Total cost $250 - $280.

For the guys in the USA its quite easy , but , ship for $8 and you done, total cost $158.

For anyone out of the US its not that simple.

$150 for item

$75 - $100 for shipping

$30 - $40 on Customs

Total cost $250 - $280.
isn't that one of the things that you accept if you live outside of the US and decide that you want to restore a car made on SAE standards in Detroit? If its not restoration then redrill and retap it put a bolt in from your workbench of the same grade and boom done.  To quote the direct tv ad's if you can get picky with your bolts then why cant you get picky with your .........insert whatever here.

+1 & +1 on the above, I can get similar bolts in Australia but not worth my time to source them all

Bought the AMK kit shown above and interior master kit also - bloody lifesaver is all I can say

If only one or two bolts in an emergency can drill/tap as per Libram above

Hi,

Been off the site for several months just catching up on posts. Where do you live in SA. I will probably come over in May and stay for several months at a friends north or Port Elizabeth near Addo. I could maybe bring some parts to you. I have also sent stuff over and declared them as gifts and paid not inport also. I got some body parts for another SA member that lives near the coast near Knysna.

Just a thought. Do you have any great places to hunt, lol. I work on a hunting ranch while there they let me guide been so many times.

The AMK is your best bet and I could bring you a selection of taps also to clear out any weld nuts on the car. btw what are you working on. The other member has a coupe he build for his dad.

Let me know and maybe I can help. I can do the customs papers on computer for our U.S. Postal service unless it has changed lately. I am usually packed to the limit but could pay for an extra bag I think like 50 bucks.

I lived in China for a while and when I would come home I would go to goodwill get hard suit cases and go back with two filled with food from here. Never got stopped for luggage check or they would have taken everything, lol. Parts will be not issue. Wood yes but not bolts and nuts.

David

ok David is way more sneaky than I initially thought lol. Dude is straight up smuggling lol. Someone has a very large set of well used steel ones apparently.

Kinda impressed with a Carolina mountain man there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back